My corydoras are dying :(

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
if one fish in a tank has a disease, any fish in the tank can catch it. The only exception being tumors in individual fish. So yes, if your Corydoras have a disease, then the tetras could catch it.

If you can post a couple of photos of the neons we will have more chance of identifying the problem :)
These are not great photos sorry. On the first photo in the background one of the tetras has a white bubble like thing on the edge of his mouth

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 327
How long have you had the fish for?

How long have they been like that for, 10 days?
If yes then I would say it is a really bad fungal infection.

Methylene Blue would be my choice of medication, or any medication with Methylene Blue as the main ingredient. You will need to keep the medication in the water for at least 2 weeks.

Methylene Blue kills filter bacteria and stains silicon blue so it is best to treat the fish in a separate container.

Keep the feeding down to a small amount every couple of days and do a 90% water change 3-4 hours after feeding them. Then retreat the tank with more medication.

How long have you had the fish for?

How long have they been like that for, 10 days?
If yes then I would say it is a really bad fungal infection.

Methylene Blue would be my choice of medication, or any medication with Methylene Blue as the main ingredient. You will need to keep the medication in the water for at least 2 weeks.

Methylene Blue kills filter bacteria and stains silicon blue so it is best to treat the fish in a separate container.

Keep the feeding down to a small amount every couple of days and do a 90% water change 3-4 hours after feeding them. Then retreat the tank with more medication.
Pretty much since June last year. Since a bit before the cories died. I took a few into the aquarium shop and got them to have a look at 2 of them and i treated the tank after that (cant remember what with) but it didnt do anything for what these fish had. I have a bucket or a glass bowl they could go in and i could put my little wall filter in?

Last edited:
could this infection have killed my corys?

Would this infection be in just the fish because I have a mystery snail and a few small red ones (I cant recall the name right now). Or is it the tank as well as the fish. Because i was planning to move them into another bigger tank soon, not yet, but I plan to put a fighter in the tank these tetras are in but not if they have contaminated the tank.

Last edited:
If your Corydoras did not show the same white bits on their body, then this did not kill the catfish.

Can you confirm how long the fish have had the white bits on them?

If your Corydoras did not show the same white bits on their body, then this did not kill the catfish.

Can you confirm how long the fish have had the white bits on them?
Since at least end of feb beginning of march. Corydoras didn't have white spots

Treat them for fungus asap.

If it does not respond to Methylene Blue within a few days post a few more pics or the worst fish. It might be Lymphocistis but I am pretty sure its fungus.

Treat them for fungus asap.

If it does not respond to Methylene Blue within a few days post a few more pics or the worst fish. It might be Lymphocistis but I am pretty sure its fungus.
ok thanks for the tip!! Would you take them out of the tank then?

Last edited:
Lymphocystis is a virus that appears when the fish are stressed. It produces white cauliflower growths over the body. It can spread to other fish but if they are in good conditions and looked after, the virus goes away and will only return if the fish are stressed again. If it is Lymphocystis just leave the fish where they are, and feed them well and do lots of water changes.

----------------------
For fungus treatment you can either carefully move them into another tank for treatment, however any further damage to the fish from rough handling, will spread the fungus. So unless the tank is a nice show tank, it is probably better to remove half the filter materials into another tank, then treat the fish in their current tank.

The reason you move half the filter material to another tank is because the Methylene Blue will kill the filter bacteria. By keeping half the filter materials in another tank, you can use that material in the filter after you have finished treating the fish. Then you won't have to worry too much about ammonia and nitrite building up because all the filter bacteria were killed by the medication.

Lymphocystis is a virus that appears when the fish are stressed. It produces white cauliflower growths over the body. It can spread to other fish but if they are in good conditions and looked after, the virus goes away and will only return if the fish are stressed again. If it is Lymphocystis just leave the fish where they are, and feed them well and do lots of water changes.

----------------------
For fungus treatment you can either carefully move them into another tank for treatment, however any further damage to the fish from rough handling, will spread the fungus. So unless the tank is a nice show tank, it is probably better to remove half the filter materials into another tank, then treat the fish in their current tank.

The reason you move half the filter material to another tank is because the Methylene Blue will kill the filter bacteria. By keeping half the filter materials in another tank, you can use that material in the filter after you have finished treating the fish. Then you won't have to worry too much about ammonia and nitrite building up because all the filter bacteria were killed by the medication.
Thanks I couldn't get the Methylene Blue today but I will try and get it tomorrow.

I don't see why the fish would be stressed apart from the corydoras dying -the water nitrite did spike a bit but not for too long I don't think. That was at the start of March I think and the medication I had before didn't do anything. They had white on there fins in March, only one has got worse (the white over its body) this week.

If you can't find Methylene Blue by itself, look for a broad spectrum medication containing methylene blue. Just check the directions because most medications are bad for cories and need to be used at a lower dose rate for them :)

If you can't find Methylene Blue by itself, look for a broad spectrum medication containing methylene blue. Just check the directions because most medications are bad for cories and need to be used at a lower dose rate for them :)
My cories all died within a week and 1/2 of each other at the start of March

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back