My Cold Water Marine Rockpool Tank(North Wales Coast)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This is really nice.

Was 'thinking' of doing something like this so thought I'd do a search first.

I live on the Wirral and have good access to beaches and the like.

When you talk about Live Rock in this tank...is that stuff you have collected yourself?

How easy is it to collect livestock? Haven't looked in a rockpool for years, only remember seeing crabs as a kid though.

Thanks, great tank!

I did voluntary work at Wembury Marine Centre who does this, was amazing to watch, especially when the starfish had babies

Only just stumbled across this thread..

Absolutely superb Roy!

And what a great idea!

:good:

This is a Brilliant idea.

Had never occurred to me to do this.

Wouldnt have thought you could get such colourful tanks from the British coast.

Hi all,

Here are some pics of my coldwater marine tank. Everything has come from my local beach here in North Wales!

Hope you like.

View attachment 60978

Strawerry anenome and common shrimp.
View attachment 60979

Snakelocks anenome.
View attachment 60980

White crab! Anybody know what it could be?
View attachment 60981

Hello I live in Hereford and I'm setting on of these up.
I'm going down to tomboy for a week and was going to collect some of the tide pool animals then
Do you think they will be fin in a food chiller with a batters powered air pump?

I live about 20 mins from Caernarfon :D Nice to see another member from close by!
Even though I used to go swimming a lot in the sea as a kid, I had no idea just how diverse the marine life is :)

Beautiful tank ^^

fantastic tank roy, but it kinda suprises me just how many people say they had no idea what we have in our waters, we have fantstic marine life all round the island

Looking good!

How big is the tank?? If it's large enough then I would recommend getting a short spined bullhead. Definately one of the UK's prettiest fish.

Hey my first post on tff, i was browsing the net for cold water marine and found this post. i have had my tank set up for about 8 months now. its a cold water uk marina tank much like yours. i was reading some of the posts just thought i would say my bit. As long as you are getting livestock from the pools on the beaches then there really is no nead for a chiller unless yopu live in a sauna :). rockpool creatures are very hardy in that respect and can handl temperature fluctuations very well if not they wouldnt do very well during the summer when many rockpools reach tropical temeratures for a very long time. my tank is 280 liters i am running two fluval 305's and a very basic protien skimmer ( no chiller ) lol. i have a variety of blennies including a beautiful butterfly blenny and one montague's blennie. Some gobies hard to tell what variety they are as their colours fluctuate so much. i have two clingfish one is certainly the greater cling hard to tell about the other. i have 3 pipefish living in the weed facinating creatures but a little boring :). they are closely related to the seahorse and like their cousins the males hatch the eggs and do all the parenting may that be a lesson to you all :).by far the prize of all my fish is the ballan wrasse. She is a beautifull creature constantly buzzing around the tank looking for food. There are also a few squat lobsters hiding amongs the rocks a hermit crab and a small shore crab. i keep mussels purely for fish food. they go crazy when you crack one open and drop it in especially the wrasse. i have a large amount of anenomies mailny of the snakelock variety because i think they are the most asthetically pleasing. the staple food is ...... wait for it..... ham. yes i know it just doesnt seem right but the only fish that wont touch it is the wrasse and the pipefish which i feed artema, daphnia and bloodworm. All of thes fish and inverts where found in rockpools on the cornish coast using hands and nets ( no hooks ) i go out every fortnight and search for new things and/or return fish i consider to larg ie the gready buggers eat all my other fish. i also do a 50 liter water change on these occasions. Finally i would like to finish by saying the bullhead ( of any variety ) is not a good addition to any tank unless you want a species only tank., they are beautifull fish but they eat everything their mouth is huge and they are quite capable of swollowing fish larger than themselves and digesting them in a few hours. i will try to get some pics up at a later date.

Oh i love it when older, more forgotten about threads pop up from time to time. I certainly would love to have an update on this!

@ Niixx, fantastic little read up there. I would love to see pictures and hear more about yours. I'd love to set up a cold-water UK salty tank, i just havn't the guts to try salty yet, or space!

EDIT: double posted? somehow...

I've been sessioning the tank/fish of the month section admiring the variety, this is one of my tanks of the year! Stunning and reminds me of happy rockpool holidays in Wales when I was little.

Simply the best..

Ps.. Never seen a welsh marine bio type befor..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back