My Cold Water Marine Rockpool Tank(North Wales Coast)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I must say, I've never seen or heard of anyone actually keeping a cold water marine tank before. Brilliant! Such originality should be celebrated! Please send in a write up and some pictures to PFK, I would love to read that article.

pfk has had a write up on a 4 ft uk reef but i reckon theyde probably want to see it anyway

do you use a chiller then or does it stay low

Hi all,

Sorry I've been away for a few days, so havent been able to reply!

The only piece of equipment I have is a filter! I have been very lucky and have had no problems with my water. I was just experimenting to start with as my son was going on and on one day when he had caught a small crab at the beach and wanted to keep it, so it started that way, and after a while after adding a bit more livestock I realised that everything was doing great, I then concerntrated more on it and havent looked back!

I havent had a problem with the temperature(touch wood) so theres no need for me to have a chiller.

I have never thought of PFK to be honest, do you reckon they would be interested? I might give them a go.

My son is still waiting for his starfish, as we didnt go this weekend!

Many many thanks for all your nice comments!

Roy.

Thanks mate, the beach is called DINAS DINLLE near Caernarfon

No way, my family had a small touring caravan on one of the campsites there for 2 years about 10 years ago, never knew there was such abundant wildlife on the shores! Beautiful little beach though with Snowdonia in the background. I love the tank, it's like your own, private version of whats on offer at the Sw Mwr Mon (probably spelt that wrong) on Ynys Mon (Anglesey).

Its ignorant (well, on my behalf at least!) to think that we couldn't have such colourful, beautiful wildlife living off the coast of the UK. A great tank and a job well done! :good:

Thanks mate, the beach is called DINAS DINLLE near Caernarfon

No way, my family had a small touring caravan on one of the campsites there for 2 years about 10 years ago, never knew there was such abundant wildlife on the shores! Beautiful little beach though with Snowdonia in the background. I love the tank, it's like your own, private version of whats on offer at the Sw Mwr Mon (probably spelt that wrong) on Ynys Mon (Anglesey).

Its ignorant (well, on my behalf at least!) to think that we couldn't have such colourful, beautiful wildlife living off the coast of the UK. A great tank and a job well done! :good:

Hi Ferg1985,

I also have a caravan at the 'Thornleys Dinlle' holiday park in Dinas Dinlle even though I only live 4 miles away on the mountain(I can actually see my caravan from my home with binoculars) There are 2 sites there, the other called 'Morfa Lodge'.
I take it you have been to the 'sw mor mon'? Its a fantastic place which has all the wildlife from the Menai Straits hre in North Wales. Where are you from?

Many thanks,

Roy.

Oh wow this is brilliant. I'd love to do something like this, However living in Coventry i think i'm about the furthests from a beach than anyone else here. Nearest beach to Coventry is Blackpool and/or Weston-Super-Mare (weston-super-mud) lol.

Hi Ferg1985,

I also have a caravan at the 'Thornleys Dinlle' holiday park in Dinas Dinlle even though I only live 4 miles away on the mountain(I can actually see my caravan from my home with binoculars) There are 2 sites there, the other called 'Morfa Lodge'.
I take it you have been to the 'sw mor mon'? Its a fantastic place which has all the wildlife from the Menai Straits hre in North Wales. Where are you from?

Many thanks,

Roy.

Yeah I have been to the Sw mor mon a few times as a child, (haven't visited Caenarfon or Anglesey in about 10 years, mind. I do remember it being a brilliant place to visit and from what I recall virtually all the exhibits were showcasing local wildlife, particularly the marine stuff. It would have been the Thornley park that we used.. We also had a stint on Nant Newydd (again, spelling?! haha) near Benllech on Anglesey. I'm from Wigan so I don't get much first hand experience with the seaside :lol:

Lovely tank. I have often thought about setting up a cold water marine tank with local livestock (I live about 10 minutes walk from the SE coast).

Would love to know more details (tank size, equipment, etc). What kind of lighting are you using as well?

Only reason I have never done one so far is because of the need for a chiller, interesting that you aren't using one and I think this is the only coldwater marine setup I have run into that doesn't.

Roy that is unbelievable! :hey: I feel like chucking my tank in the bin now! :rolleyes:

Oh wow this is brilliant. I'd love to do something like this, However living in Coventry i think i'm about the furthests from a beach than anyone else here. Nearest beach to Coventry is Blackpool and/or Weston-Super-Mare (weston-super-mud) lol.
Ha ha i no how you feel i live in Brum. All you would catch there is the lesser spotted bin liner and shopping trolly. I would love to have a go at something like that tho (not the bin liner or shopping trolly)

Really nice tank - if you are interested in cold water marine set-ups take a look at Jennybugs nano, she also kept beadlets etc.

And as Bae said their was a piece in PFK sometime back about a larger tank and an even better one in Ultra marine a year or so ago, wish I could remember his name duh...............

Could I impose on you to also put a link to this thread in the Marine section, us Salties doen't get out much and some Salties are missing this thread :good:

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back