My Cold Water Marine Rockpool Tank(North Wales Coast)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Roy 2593

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are some pics of my coldwater marine tank. Everything has come from my local beach here in North Wales!

Hope you like.

31082010330.jpg

Strawerry anenome and common shrimp.
31082010333.jpg

Snakelocks anenome.
31082010342.jpg

White crab! Anybody know what it could be?
31082010346.jpg

Great to see something original on here. Not seen a UK marine tank before.

Thats awesome, I've always wondered why people never do the British coast :good: Its a shame as that looks great

Certainly seems a nice idea. How long has the tank been running?

Yeah agreed brilliant idea :D I would love to be in a position one day to do a properly researched freshwater UK tank and get the best ornamental fish from our rivers they must exist! Other than sticklebacks I dont know where to start....

Wills

Yeah agreed brilliant idea :D I would love to be in a position one day to do a properly researched freshwater UK tank and get the best ornamental fish from our rivers they must exist! Other than sticklebacks I dont know where to start....

Wills
A monster tank with wels catfish or pike. Thats what i would love to do but doubt ill ever have a tank big enough.

Many thanks for your nice comments! The tank has been running about 13 months now, I change about 10 ltrs of water every 6-8 weeks, I go down to the beach to collect it with my container and best of all it's free!!

I had read a lot about our sea fish and inverts prior to keeping them. I have kept tropical marine in the past for about 10 years and freshwater tropical before and after them too, and also worked in an aquatic shop for 13 years so I wanted something different for a change! I haven't looked back since!

Thanks,
Roy.

Are there any fish in there or is it just invertebrates and coral?

There is about 15 blennie's in there no more than a couple of inches long and one 3 spot goby. Theres about 10 common shrimps ranging from 2 inches to 1cm in size, also a small hermit crab and a couple of crabs. Did have a small bullhead but it ate my brown running shrimps, so I took him back to its original rockpool!

Roy.

Wills
A monster tank with wels catfish or pike. Thats what i would love to do but doubt ill ever have a tank big enough.

That would be quite cool but I bet there are smaller fish that would be more suited to tank life, I refuse to accept it that in the whole of the UK that sticklebacks are the only option. I mean at the end of the day the majority of fish cataloged in the UK are for the fishing hobby so where max size and weight is more important than colour, behaviour and smaller stature.

Wills

Wills

That would be quite cool but I bet there are smaller fish that would be more suited to tank life, I refuse to accept it that in the whole of the UK that sticklebacks are the only option. I mean at the end of the day the majority of fish cataloged in the UK are for the fishing hobby so where max size and weight is more important than colour, behaviour and smaller stature.

Wills
I do alot of fishing and cant think of anything that would work but like you say most of the fish that are well know are though fishing and not for colours.
There is one fish that sprung to mind but evan that you would nee a 55+g
A ruffe apart from that all i can think of are stickleback, minnows,gudgeon, roach, dace, rudd and bleak but the last 4 would still need a fairly big tank. Another good fish for a big tank if you had LOADs of current would be a grayling stunning fish.

Wills

My dad had a really nice huge tank when I was little, we took a fry net to a large river and scooped up 20 or so mixed fry and put them in it, watched them grow up into rudd, roach, gudgeon, carp, barbel, bream, all sorts! Had a freshwater eel in there as well at one point, as well as some stickleback (but we couldn't get them to feed so we took them back).

I'm fairly sure it's illegal to do that though...

Oh and Roy I really like the tank, I'd love to do something like that one day. Was it hard work getting all the marine life?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back