My axolotl, Kirby!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

THEY say 20 G for one and 30 for two and that the bottom sqaure footage is more important than the tank depth/height. Makes sense to me.

Most reputable breeders recommend 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for every additional one. Though of course floor space is more important, which is how @itiwhetu (correct me if I’m wrong) was able to keep three in a tank he said was the base dimensions of a 40 breeder, but only half the height (so also half the water volume).

Most reputable breeders recommend 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for every additional one. Though of course floor space is more important, which is how @itiwhetu (correct me if I’m wrong) was able to keep three in a tank he said was the base dimensions of a 40 breeder, but only half the height (so also half the water volume).
Surface area is always more important than tank volume, I get frustrated when continually tanks are talked about as a 20g or a 40g.

ok, interesting. I found a tank that was 10 gallons, but it was suuuuper flat. It was only 10cm tall, but it had 1 metre by 1 metre footprint. It didnt look the best but it was cool. Maybye you could put a tank on top of the flat tank? Maybye you could put a divider seperating the top and bottom so you can have tank mates

Surface area is always more important than tank volume, I get frustrated when continually tanks are talked about as a 20g or a 40g.
That was what I was saying, the base dimensions matter more than actual gallon capacity. How would you prefer we refer to tanks? By their dimensions?

ok, interesting. I found a tank that was 10 gallons, but it was suuuuper flat. It was only 10cm tall, but it had 1 metre by 1 metre footprint. It didnt look the best but it was cool. Maybye you could put a tank on top of the flat tank? Maybye you could put a divider seperating the top and bottom so you can have tank mates
In my breeding room my grow out tanks were 36x15x12 inches. 12 inches deep. on top of those I would sit 18x9x9 inch breeding tanks. I would have four of those sitting on top of the grow out tank the fish would spawn in the little tanks. when the fry were ready to be moved, I would just tip the contents of those tanks into the grow out tanks. So I would have four tanks of say lemon tetras spawning at the same time. Four tanks of cherry Barbs etc.

In my breeding room my grow out tanks were 36x15x12 inches. 12 inches deep. on top of those I would sit 18x9x9 inch breeding tanks. I would have four of those sitting on top of the grow out tank the fish would spawn in the little tanks. when the fry were ready to be moved, I would just tip the contents of those tanks into the grow out tanks. So I would have four tanks of say lemon tetras spawning at the same time. Four tanks of cherry Barbs etc.
Like setting directly on top, or a few inches above?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back