My axolotl, Kirby!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

In my breeding room my grow out tanks were 36x15x12 inches. 12 inches deep. on top of those I would sit 18x9x9 inch breeding tanks. I would have four of those sitting on top of the grow out tank the fish would spawn in the little tanks. when the fry were ready to be moved, I would just tip the contents of those tanks into the grow out tanks. So I would have four tanks of say lemon tetras spawning at the same time. Four tanks of cherry Barbs etc.
smart.

nice, that is very good to know because i have made the mistake of thinking the onnly thing that matters is volume
The only fish that need deep tanks are deep bodied fish, all the others are happy in shallow tanks and preferably around twelve inches. All the Tetras for an example do better in 12-inch water than 18-inch water.

I don't want to hi jack your Thread. The science behind this or the reasoning is that a fish in shallow water has a connection between the surface and the substrate, it knows if it is in shallow water a large predator fish isn't going to get it, if it is deep water it is not so sure.

I don't want to hi jack your Thread. The science behind this or the reasoning is that a fish in shallow water has a connection between the surface and the substrate, it knows if it is in shallow water a large predator fish isn't going to get it, if it is deep water it is not so sure.
wow, intetresting

So since you don't mind. I will make one more point. I used to always breed fish in small tanks. The smaller the better. This would give the adults a connection with each other. I would then remove the adult fish, when the fry are growing up, they then would have a connection with each other and would get security from the group, they would feel safe because the water would be only about six inches deep.

So since you don't mind. I will make one more point. I used to always breed fish in small tanks. The smaller the better. This would give the adults a connection with each other. I would then remove the adult fish, when the fry are growing up, they then would have a connection with each other and would get security from the group, they would feel safe because the water would be only about six inches deep.
wow, if i ever breed fish ill rerember that. you have lots of knolege.

How? How do you lift it to move fish, feed fish, and do water changes? I think I may be misunderstanding
How? How do you lift it to move fish, feed fish, and do water changes? I think I may be misunderstanding
So, the stand is about forty inches long, the grow out tank sits on the shelf, the breeding tanks sit on the top of that tank, two at each end, there is about a 4inch gap for feeding the grow out tank. The breeding tanks are easy to lift on and off the grow out tank because they only have 4-6 inches of water, they act as a lid for the grow out tank. The breeding tanks overhang the stand by about Three inches for feeding the young fry.

Most reactions

trending

Back