My axolotl, Kirby!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So, the stand is about forty inches long, the grow out tank sits on the shelf, the breeding tanks sit on the top of that tank, two at each end, there is about a 4inch gap for feeding the grow out tank. The breeding tanks are easy to lift on and off the grow out tank because they only have 4-6 inches of water, they act as a lid for the grow out tank. The breeding tanks overhang the stand by about Three inches for feeding the young fry.
OHHH that makes so much sense now! And the tank on the bottom is able to support it? That’s crazy!

So with multiple tanks on top of one grow out tank, do you do multiple species at once and have their fry grow up together, or do you have multiple breeding groups of one species?

Yep, not a problem. My tank sizes were 15x6x6, 18x9x9, 24x12x12. 36x15x12, 36x15x15, 18x15x15 The last two were for Angels.
I notice on the majority of these, your tanks are as wide as they are tall. Why is this?

I notice on the majority of these, your tanks are as wide as they are tall. Why is this?
These tank measurements were considered to be standard size tanks. They were designed to fit onto stands. We would build stands and then be able to put all sorts of configurations of tanks onto those stands. If you have a look a 15-inch-wide stand, could not only have the large tanks but also the smallest one on any shelf. In a breeding room you are continually changing things about. So you need to have tanks that are flexible. Have a close look at those tanks and see how many different combinations I had. Some stands were 12 inches wide others 15 inches.

Just because we are talking breeding rooms. Some stuff. The whole room was heated. There was a 6-degree variance in Temperature from the top tanks to the floor tanks. I had a compressor feeding air to the room. I only used box filters air driven. None of the spawning tanks had any filtration, I would run air stones on them. The adult fish would be kept in the floor tanks, the rise in Temperature would induce spawning. early morning sun light is critical and is something most breeders don't consider. My fish room had forty-five tanks (which I built myself) and I ran this room while I was at school, I was a nerd. I went on to import fish and run other fish rooms, but this was the best one.

Just because we are talking breeding rooms. Some stuff. The whole room was heated. There was a 6-degree variance in Temperature from the top tanks to the floor tanks. I had a compressor feeding air to the room. I only used box filters air driven. None of the spawning tanks had any filtration, I would run air stones on them. The adult fish would be kept in the floor tanks, the rise in Temperature would induce spawning. early morning sun light is critical and is something most breeders don't consider. My fish room had forty-five tanks (which I built myself) and I ran this room while I was at school, I was a nerd. I went on to import fish and run other fish rooms, but this was the best one.
ok, cool. When im a bit older i might breed fish

Start now, I breed my first fish when I was 13.
Ok, I'll probably breed my neon tetras when my 22 gallon is cycled, but I just don't know what I should do with the fry. I'll probably breed my dwarf goumaris to, maybe I could sell the fry to my lfs, or just give it to them. Its a good idea. I just need to work out what to do with the fry.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll probably breed my neon tetras when my 22 gallon is cycled.
Neon's are about the hardiest fish to spawn forget about raising their young. You want to start with cherry barbs or Lemon Tetras or get back to me with something else. But not Neon's or Cardinals.

Ok, good idea, but what would I do with the fry...
You go down to your local LFS and say I am breeding these fish will you take my fry. My local LFS was struggling to get good White Clouds. I bought six fish from them at wholesale prices, bred them and then sold them two hundred fish back at wholesale prices. That is how this game works.

You go down to your local LFS and say I am breeding these fish will you take my fry. My local LFS was struggling to get good White Clouds. I bought six fish from them at wholesale prices, bred them and then sold them two hundred fish back at wholesale prices. That is how this game works.
Sounds good to me. Breeding sounds like fun!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back