My axolotl, Kirby!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Axoltls can, as @Colin_T says, live on land, in extreme circumstances and not for long...but at that point, they really cease to be true axolotl.
They are related to the Tiger Salamander and their particular branch of that family tree has embraced neoteny as a survival technique, prolonging their aquatic youth for up to 15 years.
At 15, they're quite big beasties.

Thanks, Bruce, fascinating. I need to know now if they should be given opportunities to get out of the water, like climb onto a stone etc. Mine are currently in a deep 30 G tank. No terrestrial exploration landings.
I believe it would do them no harm and they like to explore their surroundings. Consider it life enrichment.
They are not suffering extreme conditions, so are unlikely to make it permanent move.
As @Colin_T suggested, it just gives them an option. Most amphibians like to spend some time out of the water, but axolotls are renown for being awkwadifferent.

I have said that I think they prefer shallow water. Mine were never in water deeper than about 6 inches with large flat stones that they would sit on. Their noses almost out of the water. I don't think they are suited for deep tanks.

I have said that I think they prefer shallow water. Mine were never in water deeper than about 6 inches with large flat stones that they would sit on. Their noses almost out of the water. I don't think they are suited for deep tanks.
There are some people saying they need 17 inches minimum and others saying 6 inches. I think that he is perfectly happy in my 55 Gallon. There are large Amazon swords that he rests on closer to the surface. Plenty of people keep their axolotls very happily in 55 gallons with no issues. If I see decline in his health or activity levels I will reassess the situation. If anything he seems to enjoy himself more in the 55 gallon than he did in my half filled 20 long.

Moving my pair outta the deep tank tomorrow!

How deep is the water in your 55 G? I’m thinking of filling my 40 G long breeder tank halfway up, so 7-8 inches and making a sloped beach, bare glass at one end with rising to 4-5 inches sand at the other end. May add a few beach umbrellas and sand buckets. 😝
Ah that would be adorable! Sally and Mander would love it I’m sure! The water in my 55 gallon about 18 inches deep

Oh, that’s right. Thought they meant must axies be kept as solitary animals. Mine were kinda cuddling nose to nose today.
Hard to photograph. Tank darkish. No flash on iPad & I wouldn’t risk scaring them if it had one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back