My axolotl, Kirby!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I owned an Axie for a little over two years. Wonderful creatures, spent many hours watching my Phoenix. He arrived and looked so tiny when placed into his new home, a 20g long aquarium.

He grew to over 16 inches long with a girth of a baby's arm. The breeder was amazed at his size and attributed it to his health issues, he gave me more than a few scares over the time I had him. He died in his sleep earlier this year.

This was Phoenix as a baby and just weeks before he died.....I miss his burps, farts and bubbly blowing smiles each morning....

150460215_3670211106398717_2625705915702161438_n.jpg150611207_3670211563065338_7591161791439305419_n.jpg151165837_3670211986398629_4406752118698705979_n.jpg

I must admit I haven't read the whole thread. But I have kept and breed axolotl's. Firstly they need very little water, My breeders only had about 6 inches of water. Secondly, give them something to climb on, lots of rocks that come out of the water, so they can be in or out of the water at their will. Thirdly, don't put anything else in with them, they treat anything that moves as food. Bump me if you want me to give you anymore information.

I owned an Axie for a little over two years. Wonderful creatures, spent many hours watching my Phoenix. He arrived and looked so tiny when placed into his new home, a 20g long aquarium.

He grew to over 16 inches long with a girth of a baby's arm. The breeder was amazed at his size and attributed it to his health issues, he gave me more than a few scares over the time I had him. He died in his sleep earlier this year.

This was Phoenix as a baby and just weeks before he died.....I miss his burps, farts and bubbly blowing smiles each morning....

View attachment 141898View attachment 141899View attachment 141900
Wow, he is gorgeous! He must’ve been absolutely massive! I’m sorry he passed away:/

I must admit I haven't read the whole thread. But I have kept and breed axolotl's. Firstly they need very little water, My breeders only had about 6 inches of water. Secondly, give them something to climb on, lots of rocks that come out of the water, so they can be in or out of the water at their will. Thirdly, don't put anything else in with them, they treat anything that moves as food. Bump me if you want me to give you anymore information.
Ooooh ok! I have Kirby in a half filled 20 long right now, with some rocks that his AquaClear 50 filter splashed onto so the flow isn’t too much. I had the rocks stacked so there were some out of the water, but he kept getting stuck under them:blush: what does it mean to bump, and how do I do it?

Ooooh ok! I have Kirby in a half filled 20 long right now, with some rocks that his AquaClear 50 filter splashed onto so the flow isn’t too much. I had the rocks stacked so there were some out of the water, but he kept getting stuck under them:blush: what does it mean to bump, and how do I do it?
Bump means use @itiwhetu in one of your posts and I will see it. I used large flat rocks in my tanks they never got stuck.

Ohhhhhhh ok. My rocks were moderately round, and he wasn’t really stuck but it was making me nervous!
Fish only ever get stuck if they are unwell, healthy fish don't get stuck. I had a long tank and put the filter flowing down the tank the Axolotls' would sit with their noses up into the current.

Something that I found to be extremely handy...since Axie's are right poo machines.....a turkey baster, the biggest that you can find.

Brilliant for spot cleaning the poo....with the added use of sand puffing to prevent noxious gasses and rotting food etc being harboured under the surface of the sand. A turkey baster is also great for poo collection on a bare bottom aquarium too, doesn't freak the Axie out (my boy used to bite, well gum it to death and try to pull it out of my hand in play)

Also very useful to spot clean under inaccessible things in fish aquariums too, those places where the vac cannot reach.

Fluval make them too but a normal long turkey baster does the job equally well and at a fraction of the cost.

Something that I found to be extremely handy...since Axie's are right poo machines.....a turkey baster, the biggest that you can find.

Brilliant for spot cleaning the poo....with the added use of sand puffing to prevent noxious gasses and rotting food etc being harboured under the surface of the sand. A turkey baster is also great for poo collection on a bare bottom aquarium too, doesn't freak the Axie out (my boy used to bite, well gum it to death and try to pull it out of my hand in play)

Also very useful to spot clean under inaccessible things in fish aquariums too, those places where the vac cannot reach.

Fluval make them too but a normal long turkey baster does the job equally well and at a fraction of the cost.
Oooooooooooooo I will have to get a turkey baster then! Thanks!

My axolotl arrived today! They are now legal here, and so...

His color is called Lucy for short (basically he‘s pink) i named him Kirby after the little pink video game guy. He is so darn cute I can hardly stand it. He ate a bunch of black worms and explored his tank (I used some filter media from my established 55 gallon tank, put some plants in, and let it run. I’m still planning on monitoring the water parameters though) and is getting all settled in. I only got one good picture of him, but I wanted to show him to you all still!

Edit: well the picture isn’t good, but it’ll do
Adorable! I saw the cutest pinkish purple ones advertised on Craigslist. How big will they get?

Kirby is doing well, I moved him to my 55 gallon tank instead of getting a 40 breeder. His gills are not fluffy like they were when I first got him, I am not sure why. I’ve heard that it can be parasites, something to do with water parameters, or just that they don’t need them in well oxygenated water. I know my params are fine, unless the GH is too low. I’m taking a water sample to my LFS today and may grab some Seachem Equilibrium if the GH is below 7. I have no reason to believe he has parasites (healthy appetite, healthy skin, healthy poo, growing well). He sure enjoys chilling on his Amazon swords!
950304DD-5C58-40BB-8383-78E8802AB961.png

OH MY GOD HES SO CUTE!!!
i love salamanders
i want one but it will eat my fish :(
tank params?
so is it "fish"- in cycling?
Back in the late 70’s, I had a tank with just Slug, my snail. Huge snail and he/she never had eggs so it was just him. Until I took my son and daughter to this beautiful little stream. So my daughter is playing with her little fish net At the edge of the water. She squeals with delight that she had a snake to which I almost had a heart attack. But it was a very small tadpole. She begged me to let her keep it and I did and I put it in with the giant snail. I really thought it was like a frog tadpole but then it grew then it began to change until one day I walked in and a freaking huge salamander was looking at me. Thanks to my fast reflexes I got him back in the tank and eventually back to the little stream from where we found him.

In their natural habitat the water evaporates, they lose their gills and become terrestrial animals. They also die a year or two later.

Most of the axos sold in Australia are imported from Asia/ Indonesia.

Colin, if you happen to have time, can you take a look at this article?
I respect you immensely & can’t reconcile it with what you’re saying. Is this other guy uninformed?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back