my angels are at it again

But i guess keeping their babies wouldnt really wok to fix the problem???ill try moving him out for 3-5 days i guess and then take it from there...*sigh* :(

Well, usually I would recommend keeping them with the fry because sometimes when you take all the fry out, the male will turn on the female. In this case tho, from as bad as you describe it, the male is already out of hand and could hurt the female so I don't think the fry have anything to do with it but I can only think that taking the babies out and leaving the male and female together it might get worse. If you want to take a chance, you could take all the fry out and maybe the female will want to breed again in a couple weeks, but this is going on the assumption that the male is a "bad dad" and the female is a good mom. Which does happen, but can the female last 2 more weeks? Only you can know this as you are there and see it. We could know it if we saw the behaviour but it's almost impossible for us to say for sure w/o actually watching the behaviour ourselves.

BTW, this is JMO. I might not even be correct in any of this. This is just what I feel is happening based on my experience with cichlids w/o actually seeing what is happening for real in the tank.

Well it is getting really bad her lip is damaged,he tore a peice of skin right off and now she cant close her mouth,shes not eating either and he keeps going at her lip so hes just making it worse.Its really weird they look at each other and flinch back and forth if you know what i mean then they have a little spat....*sigh*....right now i dont have anywhere to put him because i just put those 2 convicts in my 20 but my friend who lives a few doors down has a 27 with just 2 of my fry so i think i can put him there and im doing it tommorow b4 he kills the poor lady :angry:

Yep, what I was afraid of. :(

Most likely she won't last until the morning. In all honesty, if you don't have a divider, I would put her/him with the cons if it's just for a few hours overnight. He'll probably take her out soon because she's tired and doesn't want to breed. She needs rest and he won't accept that fact. In Nature, if a female won't breed, the male chases her away to make room for other females. The problem here is, she has nowhere to go and it pisses him off so he'll kill her to make that room. She can't get rest with the male. She "might" not get rest with the cons but at least she'll have a chance with the cons. I don't think she'll have a chance with the male angel because he's pissed and on to her now. I don't think she'll make it thru the night with him man. What else is in that tank with them? Turn the lights off and hopefully he'll drop the issue for the night.

Please keep us updated.

I would put the male in there and leave the female to heal on her own. Good idea. I wasn't sure if there were other angels in the tank.

That's great to hear. :)

Given the change of status and injury, I would wait for 1 week after the female is completely healed before you try to reintroduce them again. If you do try again.

You might think that this will happen all over again, and it may, but I believe all this happened only because the female wouldn't breed again. If she's ready to breed again they might be alright in the future but this could happen again after the next brood. It's up to you what you want to do tho. Please keep us updated and if you reintroduce, now you know what to look for and how long to wait and will get better at it. :)

Welcome to the World of Cichlids. :thumbs:

lol :lol: thanks you sooo much for all your help :) :thumbs: i cant thank you enough :) :D :look:

i will wait a week then reintroduce,ill keep ya posted :thumbs:

I'm glad to read that you moved the male and not the female. Those cons will probably pick on the new fish in the tank and the female would totally not be able to deal with it given she's already injured.
You might want to consider using some Melafix in her tank to help speed recovery of her torn lip. It really can, IME, make a HUGE difference.
Good luck!

So ive got the male angel over at a girlfriends in her 27 gallon for a week.I got some Melafix today and she is better already.She's eating again and seems alot happier. :nod:

I am going to try to reintroduce but if this happens again im getting rid of him but I really enjoy breeding angels and would like to try again sooo it kinda sucks :/

I'm glad that she seems like she'll be alright. That's good to hear. Hopefully the reintroduction will go well. If not, at least you learned a little bit on how far to let things go before stepping in next time. Every little bit of info helps. :thumbs:

I'm glad to read that your female is already improving! Melafix can work wonders, as does eliminating stress! :thumbs:
I wouldn't rush to reintroduce the male. Give her some time and maybe things will go more smoothly when you try to transition him back into the tank with her.
Keep us posted as to how things are going.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back