Musk Turtle

lock77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently bought a second hand aquarium with 2 musk turtles in it and was just wondering if this was wise. The previous owner had them in along with yo yo loachs, angels and a bristlenose pleco. I have already added the rest of my fish to the tank and thought everything was fine but then i noticed i had a poorly clown loach, next thing i know is these 2 turtles are swimming from side to side with my loach in their mouths taking lumps out of it. Would this just have been because it was ill or had died or are musk turtles Vicious monsters who look cute?

I recently bought a second hand aquarium with 2 musk turtles in it and was just wondering if this was wise. The previous owner had them in along with yo yo loachs, angels and a bristlenose pleco. I have already added the rest of my fish to the tank and thought everything was fine but then i noticed i had a poorly clown loach, next thing i know is these 2 turtles are swimming from side to side with my loach in their mouths taking lumps out of it. Would this just have been because it was ill or had died or are musk turtles Vicious monsters who look cute?

Please don't call them vicious monsters because you threw a bunch of fish in with them - that's not fair.

As far as I know, you shoudn't keep fish and turtles together for a few reasons - - 1) you don't know the history of the turtles 2) the turtles could eat the fish 3) they can both carry diseases to infect the other 4) the turtles massively pollute the water and need insane filtration. These turtles were previously housed with fish as you say and they can probably carry those diseases in their system to infect other fish for a while

What size tank is this? How large are the turtles? Most people house them inappropriately and you may have adopted two turtles in a too small tank. How long have you had them before adding fish in? What kinds and how many of each kind of fish are now in the tank?

Please don't call them vicious monsters because you threw a bunch of fish in with them - that's not fair.

As far as I know, you shoudn't keep fish and turtles together for a few reasons - - 1) you don't know the history of the turtles 2) the turtles could eat the fish 3) they can both carry diseases to infect the other 4) the turtles massively pollute the water and need insane filtration. These turtles were previously housed with fish as you say and they can probably carry those diseases in their system to infect other fish for a while

What size tank is this? How large are the turtles? Most people house them inappropriately and you may have adopted two turtles in a too small tank. How long have you had them before adding fish in? What kinds and how many of each kind of fish are now in the tank?
I am literally afraid to say, i was overstocked on my 64l and opted for a 110l but had to take the turtles as part of the deal. If I thought I was doing them or my fish any harm I would sort it out but the man i bought it from said they got along with the fish. I have an empty 95l tank that's not in use so I could set that up for them if need be. They do seem to be getting along with the fish except for that 1 clown loach that was acting poorly before hand.

Most reactions

trending

Back