Musk Turtle Setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi again, massively considering this setup in my bedroom, the tank is in place and just waiting to be setup. I currently have a sufficient heater, fluval 1 filter, some pebbled like substrate, a corner basking area and thermometor. Im in no rush to setup im just currently focussing on getting everything right. So at the moment is theyre any ither equipment i need? I will eventually produce a cave and include a small plant mat.

Hi again, massively considering this setup in my bedroom, the tank is in place and just waiting to be setup. I currently have a sufficient heater, fluval 1 filter, some pebbled like substrate, a corner basking area and thermometor. Im in no rush to setup im just currently focussing on getting everything right. So at the moment is theyre any ither equipment i need? I will eventually produce a cave and include a small plant mat.

A Fluval 1 isn't going to cope with the waste of a turtle,

Musks are climbing turtles in nature so caves, plants mats and turtle docks aren't really going to interest them, personally I would throw in as much gnarly bogwood as you can find, with some large rocks just peaking out above the waterline,

A 2-5% UV bulb is also required.

What size is the tank btw?

The tank is 10g well I will build the tank according to their liking, will be setting tank up tonight, need to buy a light unit yet and there are some reasonably priced bulbs in my LFS. As for the filter I may have to pook into another one to run aside it or a bigger and better filter, would a flexing light be able to hold one of the UV bulbs as I thought this would be easy to focus on the tank
Thanks for the reply was thinking I wasn't gonna get one

Cheers, Goodaire

Sorry but unless you want the turtle to die of ammonia poisoning then tbh I would forget about the idea, as it will not work in a 10G.
There simply isn't enough water to dilute the waste and the filtration is nowhere near adequate even for a tiny Musk Turtle Hatchling
Minimum tank suggested for these is 80-90L (22-24USG) (For every Musk turtle tank i have helped to setup I have used either a Roma 90 (or Roma 125 for 2))

Sorry but unless you want the turtle to die of ammonia poisoning then tbh I would forget about the idea, as it will not work in a 10G.
There simply isn't enough water to dilute the waste and the filtration is nowhere near adequate even for a tiny Musk Turtle Hatchling
Minimum tank suggested for these is 80-90L (22-24USG) (For every Musk turtle tank i have helped to setup I have used either a Roma 90 (or Roma 125 for 2))

Well I considered installing a moving bed filter but I don't wanna restrict swimming space, I also planned when feeding removing as much as the left over food which will go to waste and intoxicate the water from the tank? Would they be ok in here for a short period whilst I either find a better of produce another tank for them?

Cheers, Goodaire

Well I considered installing a moving bed filter but I don't wanna restrict swimming space, I also planned when feeding removing as much as the left over food which will go to waste and intoxicate the water from the tank? Would they be ok in here for a short period whilst I either find a better of produce another tank for them?

Cheers, Goodaire
How many musk turtles do you have and what size? As has already y been said a 10 gallon tank is far too small for anything except hatchlings. Also you need a decent filter for when it grows, recommend Fluval 3+ or anything similar with >1000l/hr flow and a much bigger tank maybe 2ft/06cm at least. Turtles are VERY messy, about 10X worse than large common plecs (I have both so I know) You current set up may be OK for a tiny hatchling but even a baby turtle will soon outgrow it.
For all but tiny babies I use a separate feeding tank with fresh clean water in it every day. By confining food waste and most poo to a separate tank, I manage to keep the main living tank relatively clean. Choice of substrate is up to you but DON'T use gravel or tiny pebbles, Turtles will swallow gravel which will either choke them or become impacted in their digestive system and kill them. Only use large pebbles too big for turtle to swallow.
For further free expert advice on turtles try www.turtlesquad.co.uk. I've found it to be the best turtle site in UK. It is run by Turtle Rescue Centre and the staff are very helpful

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back