Murky Water Problem.

LithiumMyth

Reaction score
Hello FishForums! This is my first actual post here, I've been poking around the forums reading up on most of the information that some of the senior members have posted.

This is the first tank I have ever owned, I have a 90g with a fluval 405 filter hooked up to it and the water has never been completely clear in the 6 or 7 weeks I have had it. I do regular water changes and add my cycle once a week but the water never seems to be crystal clear.

I eventually forked out the money to get my own test kits instead of going to my LFS every other day to get the water tested and it looks like my tank is finally cycled :good: ! pH is at 7.6 - Ammonias are 0 and our Nitrites are 0 as well.

I'm not exactly sure what is inside the tank the tank looks to have a white tint, but I'm posting a video here, maybe some of you know what's going on.
My Video

Thanks alot! Good to find a forum to settle down in :).

is your filter working properly?
p.swelcome to the forum.
It's hard to say really, this is my first set-up so I'm not exactly sure what proper is. :blush:
The filter I have cost me nearly as much as the tank itself, it's an external filter - the fluval 405 and from what I have seen so far I'm still unimpressed.

I had an algae bloom inside the tank and if you have a look at the video in my last post there is a piece of cotton that shows just how bad the water was. I'm yet to understand why I spent so much money on a filter that hardly did anything at all and a $3.00 piece of cotton winds up clearing the tank water better than the filter had ever done.

So, could the murky water be a result of the "cycle" chemicals? Or is there something else I should be looking at.

Thanks!

Edit - Including a few pictures.
DSC00021.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

Welcome to the forum!!!

I had an algae bloom inside the tank and if you have a look at the video in my last post there is a piece of cotton that shows just how bad the water was. I'm yet to understand why I spent so much money on a filter that hardly did anything at all and a $3.00 piece of cotton winds up clearing the tank water better than the filter had ever done.

You may not have realised it, but you answered your own question!! I belive that your clowdyness is caursed by a lack of fine mechanical filter media. The cotton, or filter wool is designed to catch fine particles in suspention. By placing some of this filter wool, or cotton into your top media box, the filter should be able to clear the tank within a few hours. The new fluval's prove to be quite reliable filters, but from what I have heared, their choise of included media is a little defunct in the mechanical department, leaning more towards the bio media. Dont worry too much about removing the some of the existing media to fit the wool, as most of the bactiria will be in the media in the bottom or middle boxes.
HTH
rabbut

Thank you very much! I'll try that straight away as soon as I can figure out how to do it properly.

The fluval filter has 4 'cases' of filter media, the top two are Ammonia Remover Media and the bottom two are carbon. Am I looking to pick out only one of the cases to make room for the filter wool and if so, which of the two kinds? Also, are there alternative 'sponges' that I can put inside the filter as well? The ones that came with it don't seem to be doing a very good job. My LFS recommended that I clean the filter out as soon as the algae bloom was cleared up - when I went to clean the sponge media inside it, it looked like it was about brand new, there wasn't any discoloration or chunks of debris washing out as I put them under the shower head.

Thanks again, looking forward to a response.

Thank you very much! I'll try that straight away as soon as I can figure out how to do it properly.

The fluval filter has 4 'cases' of filter media, the top two are Ammonia Remover Media and the bottom two are carbon. Am I looking to pick out only one of the cases to make room for the filter wool and if so, which of the two kinds? Also, are there alternative 'sponges' that I can put inside the filter as well? The ones that came with it don't seem to be doing a very good job. My LFS recommended that I clean the filter out as soon as the algae bloom was cleared up - when I went to clean the sponge media inside it, it looked like it was about brand new, there wasn't any discoloration or chunks of debris washing out as I put them under the shower head.

Thanks again, looking forward to a response.

OK, looks like another case of bad advise form the lfs. Where to start? You are currently depending upon the ammonia remover to keep your fish alive. IMO, this is a bad idea. When your ammonia remover is "full" of ammonia, it will seace to remove ammonia from the tank. This will mean the ammonia will build up to damgerous levels very quickly, if left unchecked. If it were up to me, I would replace the ammonia remover with ceramic media. The ceramic media is a good place for nitrifying bactiria to develop. These bactiria collonies "eat" the ammonia and resultant nitrIte, and turn it into less harmful nitrAte. The bactiria colonies are far more forgiving, in the sence that they do not get "full" of ammonia as the ammonia removing media will, and thus there is a reduced risk of an ammonia build-up. The ammonia removing media will also remove some medications from the water, so when you need to medicate the tank, it would have to be removed. This puts your fish in a dangerous environment. This is because there is nothing to remove the fatal ammonia from the water. In the medication situation, you have a major problem. Leave the fish to die from their illness, or try to do something about the illness, and loose them anyway to ammonia poisoning. It would be a loose-loose situation, unless you do large twice dayly waterchanges. Similar problems can occur with carbon. After 4-6weeks, carbon becomes saturated. After becomeing saturated, carbon can dump it's contents back into the tank.
Although the above is not bad advise from the lfs, it is probibly a lack of advise from them. Same with your methord of cleaning the sponges. There are chemicals in the domestic water supply, that kill any bactiria upon contact. By rinsing the filter pads under the shower, you kill the bactiria breaking down ammoina, that live in the sponge. Details of a better way below

lecture over :p lol

Now for the better half of the post
If I were in your situation, I would replace 3 out of the 4 media boxes contents with ceramic media. This will allow the filter to act biologicaly to clean the tank water of polutants. Next, I would faze out the ammonia remover slowly, allowing the bactiria in the ceramic and sponge media to take over from the ammonia remover. Monitor ammonia and nitrite leavles regularly. Dont't let leavles of either go above 0.25ppm, and don't remove more ammonia remover unitil both drop to 0ppm. Once the forth box is empty, I would fill it with filter floss/wool/cotton. This IMO would give you the best ballence of filtration. Remember to rince any media in the filter in old tank water, rather than tap water, so that you don't kill the bactiria living on it.
Further reading

nmonks wrote a biginers guide to filter media >[post="139488"]here[/post]<.

sorry for the long post and lecture
HTH
rabbut

Wow, thank you so much for all the information. The information provided by my LFS has been quite misleading, or maybe they didn't fill me in with all the details. Here is a link to the media that came with my fluval Ammonia Media and I purchased this because it was recommended to me Carbon Media. Is the ammonia media that came with my filter the appropriate material I should be using? Also, should I be using 2 of the ceramic Ammonia Media / 1 Carbon Media / 1 Cotton as of right now?

One more thing, the link in your post brought me to a fish of the month poll :unsure:.

Thank you again for all the help!

Ammonia Media and I purchased this because it was recommended to me. Is the ammonia media that came with my filter the appropriate material I should be using?

The stuff in the link is the ceramic, thus is the correct stuff. It has just been sold under the wrong name. :good:

Also, should I be using 2 of the ceramic Ammonia Media / 1 Carbon Media / 1 Cotton as of right now?

The combination would work well if your water turns brown in colour very quickly, however, if this is not the case IMO, three ceramic and one cotton would work just as well, but is a cheaper combination to run long-tearm.

One more thing, the link in your post brought me to a fish of the month poll :unsure:.

woops!! :blush: . Let me try that link again..... :blush: [post="139488"]try me[/post] Failing that, the topic can be found, buy entering the "new to the hobby" sub froum, them skimming the pinned topic "beginner resorce centre". the link to the post is half way down the pinned topic. :good:

HTH
rabbut

Thanks a million rabbut for all the help! I'm now changing the filter media around to 3 Ceramic Ammonia / 1 Filter Wool packed tight. I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again! I'll be back I'm sure :).

Thanks a million rabbut for all the help! I'm now changing the filter media around to 3 Ceramic Ammonia / 1 Filter Wool packed tight. I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again! I'll be back I'm sure :).

It's no problem. I'm happy to help with anything I know about. Failing that, someone else will have the info, and we'll both learn something.
Kind Regards
rabbut

It's me again, I had placed the filter wool as the first media in the filter about nine days ago and it seems the tank is looking murky again :(. I am going to try wrapping the wool around the intake pipe again and see if that clears anything up. I'm not trying to say you were wrong about replacing the carbon with the filter wool, but perhaps there is a different, overlooked problem that the tank is having. I have not done a water change as of yet but have been leaving the lights on for no more than 4 hours a day. Any suggestions?

Edit - Including Some Pictures and posting water test results.

Nitrite Test - 0.0
Ammonia Test - 0.0
pH Test - 7.6

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

check the flow on you filter make sure its on full and do a 40% water change and turn down your air pumps dont need them on that high

cheers dane

Hi again. Hummmm....... What rocks and substrate do you have? Did you wash either before adding to the tank? What does the tank smell of? I am pretty stumped now as to whet it could be. Your cycle has finished, so barctirial bloom is not likely, and it does not appear to be debris in suspention. Must be a chemical of some sort.... No idea what though, off the top of my head.
Sorry I can't be of more help
rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back