Mum's Brought Her Bag O' Fish - Compatability?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tunagirll

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My mum has moved in with us and as part of that move brought her fish with her for the ride.

From what I can discern, she currently has:

Silver dollar ~ 5 inches
two silver sharks ~ 4 inches
2 clown loaches mature
4 guppies
2 cories I think, the ones that nom on the bottom ~ 2 inches
an unknown catfish or a fish with long barbels about 3 inches
and the piece de resistance, a young ghost knifefish *facepalm*

They were in a 100 litre tank. I've talked my mum into a larger tank, which I'm picking up later today hopefully. It's at least a 4 foot tank 1.5 x 1.5 foot. I'll have to measure it once I pick it up. They're currently in an esky so I can't take proper pics until they go into the new tank.

My question is, are these guys compatible together, what do I need to rehome, what can stay, if any school what should I add.

Cheers :)

The silver dollars, silver sharks, clown loaches, cories need groups of 6+. The loaches and sharks would be best in even larger groups as they form a pecking order.

Unfortunately the only things that won't outgrow the tank you're getting are the guppies and cories, so it's up to you if you want to re-home them all or upgrade again in the future.

I hope it's okay for me to give the tank dimensions for the bigger species, from Seriouslyfish, to give a better idea of their eventual needs until someone with first-hand experience can chime in.
Silver Dollar - 72x15x15" (180x37.5x37.5cm)
Silver Shark (Balas) - 8x2' (240x60cm)
Clown Loaches - ~6x2' (180x60cm)

The ghost knife I have a hard time finding tank sizes on. My little one is currently in a 72x18x23" tank, hope to upgrade to something at least twice as wide when it gets bigger, if that helps at all.

Any chances of a picture of the unknown catfish? Someone may be able to ID it for you.

I -think- these all should be good together (except the guppies and cories may eventually get eaten).

Long barbles/whiskers on a catfish is an indication that it is a pretatory catfish which means it will eat the guppies depending on the species.

Ninjouzata is right, the silver sharks and clown loaches get huge. These are very unsuitable for a 100 litre tank. And the 4ft tank you are looking into will be too small also. If you arn't able to get the correct sized tank for them, then please rehome them,

Although I agree clown loach do get very large they do take years to grow.

The new tank is a 4ft, about 220 litres. I'm going to pop them in there and have them slowly rehomed as suitable places turn up. Then we'll get some new and more suitable fish :)

I'll put up some pics once they are in the tank, to get a positive ID cheers

I imagine the catfish with the barbels is either some kind of Synodontis or Pictus. Those are what you usually find with the others.

How old are the Silver Sharks and Clown Loaches? The Silver Sharks may be stunted if they have been in the 100 liter for a while (as in 2 - 3 years) so you are probably best off keeping them in as larger tank as possible and give them the best quality of life you can. I often think with fish like Silver Sharks that are so so common and get so so big no one is really going to be able to meet their needs but in situations like this if they are going to max out at like 8 - 10 inches (rather than the full 14-16 inches) you are better off keeping them in good water in as big a tank as possible.

I have to say though with that mix of fish your going to need to get a 6 x 2 x 2 tank :/

Wills

If I could convince my mum to take the jump from 100 litres to a 6 x 2 x 2 I would, but I think the 4 foot is at least a step in the right direction. They can at least have some decent room to swim while we get organised. My LFS has said they're happy to rehome them for us, so from here it will just be a matter of mum getting used to the idea that they will be too big to keep, and deciding herself (with a little prodding!) to get them rehomed.

I am going to scream.

Went to the fish shop to pick up filter parts (yes, the new tank is nearly ready to go!). Next minute, mum is off into the fish section looking to see what extra fish she can add, including suggesting a SECOND ghost knifefish! Facepalm! Then red eye tetras...???

When I told her the knifefish will fight and they'll eat the tetras, apparently I'm being unreasonable judging by the look on her face. She has some idea in her head that even though her current stock is too big for the new tank, adding yet more fish would be a super idea. Reading the riot act to her on the way home and she is not a happy camper.

Next thing it's nitpicking over water damage to the tank (bargain $150 with a super filter) and suggesting we sell it and buy something else. I just spent $400 on rocks, driftwood, parts and plants.

I swear if she goes and buys more fish while I'm at work I am seriously going to lose my ****.

Okay vent over. Pics of fish for ID once filter taps are replaced.

Every time I read this sort of stuff, it gets me quite angry. People who haven't got a clue what they're doing (your mum, not you) just throwing fish in a tank without bothering to do any research and then, as you say, think you're being all unreasonable when you suggest doing what's right for the fish. It's like they think the fish don't have any requirements at all - maybe they think that's the way nature does it, throws them all in the same bit of water at the same temperature whether they're omnivores, carnivores, herbivores, prey, predator, whatever. You can't help some people.

Saw it in my LFS the other day. Two women walk in wanting fish that day, and when the assistant said they'd have to turn the tank the tank filter and heater on and wait two days, they looked at her like she was mental. I'm not sure what good having the tank on for two days would do anyway, but at least it's better than nothing, and you're certainly not going to explain the concept of cycling a tank to people like that anyway. I think fairgrounds with their fish in a bag as prizes have a lot to answer for - that's most people's sole encounter with keeping fish, and they clearly think they can all be treated so appallingly. It just baffles me that people are so stupid they think there's nothing more to it than putting whatever fish you happen to like that day in a tiny bowl of water.

The worst part is that it was a friend of mum's that picked out her original fish knowing they would go OS and he used to work in a LFS and spent a lot of time talking about how much he knew about fish etc etc. So she now thinks it's okay, fish grow to suit their tank size, etc etc and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Doubly galling because sorting out my mum's fish means I miss out on the flowerhorn I've had my eye on.

tunagirll said:
The worst part is that it was a friend of mum's that picked out her original fish knowing they would go OS and he used to work in a LFS and spent a lot of time talking about how much he knew about fish etc etc. So she now thinks it's okay, fish grow to suit their tank size, etc etc and I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Doubly galling because sorting out my mum's fish means I miss out on the flowerhorn I've had my eye on.
Surprising how common that is - LFS staff not having a clue. I take no notice whatever of my LFS after explaining to one of their staff that I was cycling a tank and her looking at me all baffled. They continually try to tell me that I need to lower the pH in my tank for discus, even though it's 6.8 rather than the perceived perfect 6.5, and me explaing that altering pH is a whole can of worms you don't want to open up. Some of the best breeders in Europe have a pH of 8.0, but you can't tell them that because they're a LFS and know everything. It's the same LFS which has two almost-fully-grown Oscars in a tank which can't even be 30 gallons, the tank which previously had about 20 discus in it. The ignorance is shocking, and if they don't know, what hope is there of educating people like your mum?

That is difficult. I'm glad my dad listens to me about the fish even though if my mom had her way we'd have multiple goldfish and angelfish in a 10g.

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic but what flowerhorn have you had your eye on? c: Really sorry you're missing out on it!

Cheers guys, just needed to vent!

A very handsome king pearl flowerhorn. He makes eyes at me every time I go into the shop :)

Worked out the mystery fish is not a catfish but some kind of gourami, one spot on tail that I can see. Should be in the new tank in  few more days, if all goes well!

Most reactions

trending

Back