Moving Over To A Bigger Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

barking up the wrong skimmer then, i dont have the tag newbie for no reason :X

I have been using a seaclone skimmer for some years. At first I was disapointed with it performance then I played around with it and took the middle tube out and it works better now. You dont get such a whirl pool effect but it seems to chuck out the rubbish when required.

I have converted my tank to a 55 gal, but I keep getting this green algea on my glass. I have to clean it ever 4 or 5 hours. Does anybody know how to control this?

Question, I have a 55 gal with 9 fish. I change my water every friday. How many fish should I have and would having the 9 fish in my tank cause it to always get alge all over the glass?

What species of fish?

Algae is more often the cause of excess nitrates or phosphates in a saltwater tank than anything else. Can you test your water for either of those? And do you use tap water or RO/DI water to do water changes and top up the aquarium?

I have a trigger, val puffer, lepaord puffer, clown fish, and 5 Damsels. I use RO water. And I have a test a home and it reads fine, unless the test is out dated?

I'd say its more from over feeding than from the fish themselves. Fish food is the number one source of both nitrates and phosphates. Whether it gets eaten or not it is still getting into the tank there. I'd reduce your feeding amounts.

I'd say its more from over feeding than from the fish themselves. Fish food is the number one source of both nitrates and phosphates. Whether it gets eaten or not it is still getting into the tank there. I'd reduce your feeding amounts.

Agreed, but if you use tapwater that has nitrates/phosphates for water changes, that could be an equally bad source of nutrients.

do you seriously have to clean off the glass every 4 hours?? Ive never heard of growth that fast. I would double check that your skimmer is functioning fully, then get a different test kit or let the LFS do it for you. Doesnt sound like that should be happening that fast.

two part question? I have a seaclone 100 and it works but a lot of bubbles are falling in to my tank. I looks really bad. I have ajusted the flow of it but still can not control. I am looking to get another shimmer maybe the Prism Deluxe Hang-On Protein Skimmer. Does anybody have the Prism Deluxe? and would anybody suggest a protein skimmer?

in all honesty seaclones and prizams are thought of as junk. look into a aquac or a deltec. www.protienskimmer.com

THanks for the help.. But I am limited on funds, have any other brands? Anybody know anything I can feed my feather duster, to make him look good again? I have DT's, any other products?

Live Phytoplankton

I run a Red Sea Prizm and find it does exactly what I want it to - underskim.

If funds are limited and its a choice between no skimmer or a Prizm get the Prizm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back