Moving Over To A Bigger Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shutdown

Reaction score
I have just been offered the chance to move over to a bigger tank. I currently have a 2 and a half foot tank and could get my hands on a 6 foot tank :drool:

is a tank that size easier to look after or does it require more equipment to run it properly?

I am aware of the cost of getting lighting for that size and of course the expense of filling it with live roock won't be cheap.

of course i'm also not looking for an overnight marine tank here, had my current one going for little under a year so know what to expect.

hi
I have recently done the same thing...just moved up to a 5 ft.
It has been expensive even though i tried to do it as cheap as possible, but worth every penny!
have no regrets.Its a whole new world of opportunity.

I'm going from a 4'x2'x2' to a 3'6"x1'x1'6"

Definitely easier :D I have surplus live rock coming out of my ears, so much that i'm considering filling my sump with live rock instead of a DSB.

A larger tank is more forgiving than a smaller one as it takes longer for problems to manifest themselves and thus its easier to keep stable.

However, the expense in setting it up is much much more. I was compltely unprepared for the upgrade from my 100 gallon to my 220 gallons system. I though i had done all the maths etc but the liverock cost alone is astronomical. Even now my system is far from full and depserately needs about another £400 worth of liverock :S

I though i had done all the maths etc but the liverock cost alone is astronomical. Even now my system is far from full and depserately needs about another £400 worth of liverock :S

Hint Hint Hint :p

When i've moved everything over to the smaller tank, filled the sump and put some in the nano tank you can have the rest for a very reasonable price :D

Thanks mate :D

However i am still waging a war on my majano and aips. when i have them under conrtol then i will expand. I refuse to buy more rockwork only for these critters in invade it :sly:

I am wanting to convert from a 30 gal to a 55 gal, but really do not know how to do it. does anybody have infromation on that.

Well it is rather simple. You need to take down the first tank and then setup the new tank. Is the new tank going in the same spot as the old or a different spot.

Tips:
Make sure to have extra water made up ready to use meaning mixed and up to the propper temp

Have plenty of tubs to place livestock in

The easiest way I have found is to get a large rubbermaid stock tub or a few smaller rubbermaid bins. Mix up fresh water in these and bring them up to temp. Place all your livestock into it (them). Drain the tank water into another tub(s). Set up the new tank. Transfer your sand. Add any additional sand (washed of course) for the larger tank volume. Put all your old water back into the new tank. Add the livestock back in. Add as much new water as it takes to fill the new tank up. After it has been running for a bit and settles down go ahead and add any extra live rock you need to for the bigger space.

Thanks! I have just purchused a seaclone 100 (protein skimmer) it has be running for 3 days but it doesn't seem to be collecting anything. Anybody know how they work?

They are notorius for being fiddly to set properly. Despite that skimmers do take a few days to settle in and for foam to start emerging (you will find this eveytime you give the skimmer a good clean). Are you running this on the new setup? If so there may not be that much to skim atm.

okay cool... Thanks! I just wanted to make sure because I converted over to 55 gal. the skimmer feeled with water but no fine bubbles are being made..

The skimmer should be producing micro bubbles whether there's organic waste present or not. Try playing with the settings on the venturi or whatever makes the bubbles till you get a steady output.

some one said they needed another 400 pounds worth of live rock. so i have a question would it be possible to set up a new tank and move small amounts of rock to the new tank and replacing it with some "dead un live rock" to become live and keep doing that till you had enough rock? or even adding some live rock to new tank and say some sand thats live and enough dead rock and wait untill it becomes live? or am i barking up the wrong skimmer?

would it be possible to set up a new tank and move small amounts of rock to the new tank and replacing it with some "dead un live rock" to become live and keep doing that till you had enough rock?

You could but it would take forever, rock doesn't seed all that quickly and you would cause havoc in the tank (not to mention stress to the fish) if you were constantly moving rock around. You would be better off buying a load of quality live rock and some 'dead' rock then adding more live rock when funds allowed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back