Most Likely A Stupid Question (Sand)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Megalodon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i want to use sand for my aquarium that  i will be setting up hopefully soon. is there a difference between sand for salt water and freshwater? is there a difference between sand and substrate? if there is,should you use substrate first with sand on top? (im using live plants)

Substrate just means the level (strata) underneath (sub) the water, if you see what I mean. I have a black sand substrate, some have a gravel substrate, you are looking to have a sand substrate. Just to confuse things, there are also planting substrates, which would ordinarily go underneath a sand or gravel substrate. Depending upon your set-up, a planting substrate isn't always necessary, although I do use one.

I honestly don't know if there is a difference between sand for marine and freshwater. I do know that standard childrens play sand, which you would probably find in Wal-Mart, is fine for freshwater aquarium use.

I just use sand that I bought from fish shop. It's nice and white cost £25 to fill 190l tank . Some fish prefer sand some gravel. But it's mostly up to you. What you like. There are a few different sands like silver sand which is basically play sand. I think there is a silicon sand. And a few others all with there pros and cons. Just give it s little rinse before you add it. It's pretty clean already but you might get a bit of mist/milky water.

planting substrate is what confused me..i was browsing a ordering site and they offered sand and planting substrate and i was then confused if there was a difference between sand and substrate. but thats all cleared up now so thanks...i would buy the play sand,as i hear its cheaper..but i really want black sand.

Will salt water sand if for salt water fish and plants, which if added to your freshwater will kill them.

if you are having a planted aquarium i would suggest to have (no water in tank when doing this) pea moss, about a 2-3 layer on the bottom, then gravel small - medium size to place on top.
before putting the gravel down put your plants where you want them and put in the ferts before putting the 1-2 inch layer of gravel. the gravel will seal everything in. the sand will fall to the bottom of the moss.
This way will make the most of your plants and allow them to grow thick and healthy.

cheap black sand is black diamond blasting media - i am a big promoter of it because it's so cheap and looks so good! 50 lbs for $8!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back