Most Interactive Fish

mattshez

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
anyone have anything interesting to share on this subject?

My discus seem very social around each other and around me. One slight movement in the room and they'll be facing you from the other side of the room :lol:

if i walk past the tank they'll follow me too

dull i know, it just made me wonder if anyone else had anything of interest to add :D

Our oscar has trained my son to come when 'called'!

Seriously; the oscar has a habit of jumping up and bashing his condensation tray. My son got in into his head that it meant Gormok was hungry, so now he goes running and feeds him when he does it!

(I should point out, not every time; Gormok doesn't do it that often and he's not ovefed or anything like that :) )

My four Ctenopoma (Bushfish) and three Golden Wonder Killifish are easily the most interactive of my collection when I'm near their tank, but for a year now the killifish love to closely observe (read get in the way) when I have my hands in the tank doing any bits of maintenance!:lol:

My Angel more or less ignores all the other fish in my tank, and just watches everything going on outside it. He'll follow people from end to end of the tank, hoping one of us will be holding the flake container, which he can recognise from quite a distance away :p He starts wiggling when he spots it.

My Angel more or less ignores all the other fish in my tank, and just watches everything going on outside it. He'll follow people from end to end of the tank, hoping one of us will be holding the flake container, which he can recognise from quite a distance away :p He starts wiggling when he spots it.

Mine does the EXACT same!

All my other fish hide behind a large piece of bogwood ive put in the tank... i'm starting to think they have a secret fish club behind there!

my big red spotted severum was always watv=ching me, he was always head on to me whereever i was sat on my sofa, i rehomed him to fill his boots with a hot young red spotted female. now have discus and they are very similar. im sure they recognise different shapes aswell cos they dont seem as friendly with my girlfriend lol

As with most cichlids, my little pink convicts are very alert and really have such great personality. You can see mated pairs clearly communicating with each other and their behaviour isn't very unlike us humans!

The male provides a nest and if the female is happy with it she will gladly spawn but if she's not impressed she will refuse any of his advances, much to his annoyance LOL. Then when she has spawned and layed eggs, he is expected to protect her and the eggs/fry - but if he should lapse momentarily into a daydream or if he tries to relax for a minute and another fish gets a bit too near, the female will reprimand her mate, not once but over and over (nag nag nag haha). And woe betide any lazy male who shirks on his protective duties and allows the fry to be eaten...my goodness, the female practically divorces her mate and refuses to have anything to do with him for a few weeks. Ahh, they do make me laugh the way they carry on.

They really don't like me messing with their tank and rearranging stuff (although they seem to think it's ok for them to shift stuff around whenever they like) and will head butt anything I put in there (gravel vac, grippers...my hands lol).

One of the larger males learnt that by swinging his body against the thermometer it would make a tapping sound which would get my attention and have me rushing over to the tank to investigate, whereby he would swim up top as if to say "feed me, feed me!"

I don't see them just as fish... to me they are my little friends! (Yes, my b/f thinks I'm a little loony too :crazy: )

Athena

My Honduran Red Points always seem happy to see me but they usually associate this with food. lol. My Ellioti loves flaring at me when i look at him. Very funny indeed.

Mine does the EXACT same!

All my other fish hide behind a large piece of bogwood ive put in the tank... i'm starting to think they have a secret fish club behind there!

Im guessing thats an angel thing lol my does it.

Most reactions

Back