Moss Balls

JSmails

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
185
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Im about to order some moss balls from a well known site. Ive never had these or seen them before so just wondering how many to order for a 260l. I dont want them to take up too much space so Im wondering if they grow a lot?

One other question. I know they eat up nitrates so will help with reducing algae but will they also hinder the growth of my other plants? (My tank is not heavily planted)
 
I have 5 moss balls in my 500ltr tank.
their great but fairly slow growing. would say 4/5 would be good.

They made no real difference to my algea or plants

DSC_0001-2.jpg


DSC_0010.jpg
 
Hmm I don't know how much they 'eat up nitrates', as they are very slow growing. They certainly wont hinder your other plants, or algae.

If you want something to absorb large amounts of nitrates (to out-compete algae) then you need something fast growing. Eg. Cabomba, Elodea, Moneywort

Back to moss balls, I'd probably go for 4 in a 240l. I only have one in my 125 and was thinking of getting another.
 
i have 3 in a 90L and that seems too many lol ^^

id go with 5 imho :)

although, no noticeable difference on them slowing down algae growth
 
I read where they are nitrate balls. Which means that they will collect nitrates and hold them. I also read where they can collect algae, but I like the way the look, so I plan on getting a few for myt 29 gallon.
 
Are they from the seller mosymo ? If so I bought 5 from them, got them really quickly and I thought they looked great quality.
 
I had 5 or 6 in my tank but they kept getting drawn to the outlet pipe of my filter and shredded. I never bought anymore :no:
 
One other question. I know they eat up nitrates so will help with reducing algae but will they also hinder the growth of my other plants? (My tank is not heavily planted)

They won`t help with reducing algae as they are already a type of algae, Cladophora aegagroplia. They won`t have any significant effect on nitrates, not that this would control algae anyway.

Plants and algae are not in competition for nutrients, so they will have no effect on your plants either.

Dave.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top