More plants less algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if adding more plants would result in algae having less chance to grow?

Yes...

Live plants (Especially fast growing) will suck up/take all of the nutrients in a tank. Algae needs nutrients in order to grow/survive.

For example, I have a really bright LED light on my 10g and 29g tank. I leave it on for 14 hours a day. I never have algae growth of any kind.

Depending on how big your tank is, your problem should clear up in about a week. (That time frame also depends on how much Anacharis you plan on getting)

Most types of algae can be controlled by having lots of plants to use the nutrients and light. However, black beard/ brush algae and green filamentous algae can still grow in well planted tanks and once they are growing, they can be very hard to get rid of.

All new plants and fish should be quarantined for a month to make sure they don't introduce anything into the main display tank. If you don't want to quarantine new plants, at least wash them under tap water for a few minutes to try and remove algae spores and other unwanted organisms that could be on them.

Cheers for the replies guys! Really helpful. At the moment I’ve got some Monte Carlo, dwarf hairgrass, java moss, some hygrophila, cryptocoryne balansae, some reineckii pink, Rotala rotundifolia And I’ve just bought some Blyxa Japonica.

No problem! Also see if you can get some Anacharis. This will help with your algae problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back