🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
In the last year I have had two betta jump out of their tanks. Both were King Betta. With the first, he was in a 10 gallon, but the lid was not well secured. I then updated all of my tanks to have heavier glass lids.

I just had my 2nd jumper hop out of a 29 gallon tank with a well secured glass lid. The gap I had thought him too large to pass through.

Is this type of betta more likely to jump than others? I have not had any of my other 6 jump out. Just the two King types. I have had one blue marble male, one dragonscale male, one crowntail male, one butterfly male (glofish), one king female and one standard female (unknown strain).

In the last year I have had two betta jump out of their tanks. Both were King Betta. With the first, he was in a 10 gallon, but the lid was not well secured. I then updated all of my tanks to have heavier glass lids.

I just had my 2nd jumper hop out of a 29 gallon tank with a well secured glass lid. The gap I had thought him too large to pass through.

Is this type of betta more likely to jump than others? I have not had any of my other 6 jump out. Just the two King types. I have had one blue marble male, one dragonscale male, one crowntail male, one butterfly male (glofish), one king female and one standard female (unknown strain).
I’ve really only kept plakats, I’ve never had one jump besides when they get excited for feedings. Sometimes fish will jump if the water is off. Check your water and make sure everything is good, long fin betta can still jump I just don’t know how likely it would be with those long dragging fins of theirs.

They don't normally jump unless something startles them at night.

Make sure you have some floating plants or plants that grow up to the surface so he can hide among them at night.

--------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day.

I'll have to get some more hornwort for my tanks then. I came home from work and he was on the floor. As for lights, I keep a lamp on in the living room (and another in bedroom) when at work, and that is it.

Not sure if anything might have startled him. Maybe the cat jumped onto the table? But Mocha doesn't pay any attention to the tanks either. I will have to try and figure it out. I think my best bet might be floating plants. This tank doesn't have a very strong light, so hornwort is my best bet. I tried water spangles in this tank and it all died off. Duckweed won't stay in this tank either.

Get some white filter floss or some sponge and stuff it in the gaps around the coverglass. Make sure it does touch the water or it might wick some water out of the tank.

Get some white filter floss or some sponge and stuff it in the gaps around the coverglass. Make sure it does touch the water or it might wick some water out of the tank.
I have a bunch of filter floss, so this will work for me. I buy it in bulk since I have so many tanks. I was thinking of using superglue and plastic mesh to cover gaps as well. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back