More Cories!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nina7777

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi All-
About a month ago I bought 3 skunk cories for my 10 gallon, Unfortunately the 10 gallon crashed and I lost one of them. I moved the remaining two over to my 55 gallon along with 2 platties. My 55 gallon now has the fish in my signature.

My question is, should I get these two little guys 2 more friends? Or do you think my tank would be overcrowded??

I am planning on moving the two platties back to my 10 gallon in another week or so, once I have a chance to get it back up and running. Could the two platties be replaced by two more cories?

Thanks!

I would get more corys. :) Your bala sharks are going to get huge,here's some info I found on them.

Scientific Name: Balantiocheilus melanopterus
Other Names: Silver Shark
Family: Cyprinidae
Origin: Thailand, Borneo, Sumatra
Adult Size: 14 inches (35 cm)
Social: Peaceful, suitable for community tanks
Lifespan: 10+ years
Tank Level: All levels
Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallon
Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods
Breeding: Egglayer - not bred in captivity
Care: Easy to Intermediate
pH: 6.5 - 7.0
Hardness: 5 dGH
Temperature: 72-82 F (22-28 C)

As you can see,55 gallons is a minimum and you'll DEFINITELY need to get them a way bigger tank eventually. ;)

Hi- Yes I know all about the Bala's. I'm getting them a 180 gallon this fall. As I have already had them for a year and a half and they are about 8 inches now. 14 inches is not very accurate in captavity. The largest captive bala recorded is 10 inches. and that is pushing it. My aunt has one in a 150 gallon and it is only 7 inches and she has had it for 6 years. So it all depends on the individual fish.

I just wanted to see what everyone thought as far as stocking goes. (Minus the balas as they will be moving in a few months.

EDIT: Sorry should have mentioned that about the bala's in the original post! :D

My red eye is evil. He had four friends about 3 years ago when I got him and he killed them all. Now he likes to pretend he is a bala. My two bala's and one red eye school together. It is adorable!
When I get my 180 gallon, he will definately have to move over with them, as he would be heart broken!

so come 'fall' you'll only have...

1 Convict Cichlid - 5"
3 Clown Loaches - 30"
2 Skunk Cory's - 4"
2 Mickey Mouse Platties - 3"

about 40" inches of fish (unless the clowns get bigger than 10") so you've got about the same again you can fill...

Hi Nina7777 :)

The inch per gallon rule is just a guide. In general, (if your tank is healthy) if you take 2 fish out, you can safely put 2 of the same size fish in. :nod:

The only concern I might have about doing this is that you will be adding more bottom feeders. However, if you do regular water changes and good gravel vacuuming, this should not be a problem. :no:

And in the fall, you can look forward to getting lots more of these great little fish! :thumbs: :D

Oh ok, i get it now! I never really go by the rules. I don't like to overcrowd, so i tend to stick with the fish I have and not add anymore unless I have too. But since I am moving the platties that is why I asked!

I do a 25% water change and half gravel vac on Wednesdays and then i do another 25% water change and the other half gravel vac on sundays.

The bottom stays pretty clean anyways, as all my fish except for the platties and red eye, and convict love to scavenge on the bottom.

The bala's are like little vaaccumm cleaners! I can always count on them to swoop up any uneaten food. and They are constantly hungry!

I think two more it is!

Just one more questions! Should I get two more skunks, or would it be ok to get 2 juli's or two pandas.

I don't mind either way! I just love these little guys!

Hi Nina7777 :)

IMHO skunk corys are beautiful. I have a half dozen of them myself. :D

If you think there might be a possibility that you would want to breed them at some future time, get a couple more.

If not, pandas and Juliis are good choices. Of course, I think any cory is a good choice and the more the merrier! :lol:

Pandas are small and if you get them, I suggest you get more than just two. Mine do not seem to mix with the others as well as ones of similar size seem to. All things considered, you could probably add six of them, since you seem to have some flexibility with your stocking. :nod:

I was actually saying you can double what you've got in there.

As a rule 1" of fish per gal until the tank is mature (say 6 months) then 2" per gal would be a max.

If your ontop of your water changes and the filter is up to the job then 2" per gallon wont be over stocking...

Oh and go by adult sizes (hence the comment about the clowns) or as they grow - you'll be over stocked.

LOL.....ok gotcha. You meant I could double it in the 180 gallon! I was confused. I thought you meant in the 55 gallon.

Inchworm: I don't have any plans to breed. I may get some juli's as Pandas are pretty hard to find. or perhaps I will just get another two skunks. They are awfully cute! and do look similiar to the panda's.

I don't want to have to get 6 panda's though, as the clowns will probably get quit large and there are no plans yet to move them with the balas to the 180 gallon.

I'm going to go to the LFS this weekend. I'll letcha know what I end up getting!

Thanks again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back