More Betta Troubles

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SpotiKona

Reaction score
Hi again,

Tank configuration: 75° F 5.5-gallon with filter + heater

You might remember me from my thread during late August. After completing the treatment of Furan-2, my betta made a full recovery. I have also since upgraded his tank to 5.5-gallons. I first noticed that something was off again earlier this week.

He would occasionally ignore pellets. While this might be normal for some bettas, mine has never refused food when offered. It was almost as if he didn't even notice the food. He would idly stare at the glass without much movement. However, after about an hour, he would break out of this trance. Then I could begin his feeding.

My concern grew far worse when I realized that a large patch of his scales was missing on one side. Over the next few days, his appetite began to disappear. His symptoms at this point are nearly identical to those from late August.

I decided to do another round of Furan-2 since he responded so well to that before. However, his conditions have not changed at all. I fear that he may have relapsed. I am not sure what to do at this point, as he's not responding to Furan-2. He sits motionless at the bottom of the tank, only occasionally coming to the surface for a gasp of air, then returning immediately to the bottom.

Here is the video from August displaying his symptoms. He is exhibiting these same symptoms, so I did not record a new video. Here is a photo of the missing scales on his side:

IMG_0240.png

Thank you for any advice you could offer.

It looks like a bacterial infection.

I would have tried salt and water changes first, then a broad spectrum fish medication and if that failed, then anti-biotics like Furan 2.

How long did you use the Furan 2 for?
With anti-biotics you need to continue treatment for at least 4 days (preferably 7 days) after the fish has healed. This allows the wound to heal completely and stops bacteria from reinfecting the wound.

Anti-biotics should be used in a bare tank, which gets wiped and cleaned out, and a complete water change before it is re-treated.

From the description, I would say the fish is dying. You can try another anti-biotic but it might be too late. I can't advise on what medication to use because we don't have ready access to anti-biotics in Australia.

Deanasue might be able to help with medications in the states.

Thanks for the response! I went straight to Furan-2 only because of how well it worked a few months ago. I completed the 4-day treatment yesterday, including two 25% water changes. The tank is bare other than a few decorations, which I could easily remove for cleaning purposes. My betta is the only inhabitant of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back