Mollie Breeding Tank Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zarebskifish

Reaction score
hello i have 14 mixed silver mollies (more females than males), 4 female marbled mollies and 3 giant danios in a 40gl tank (180 litres)

im trying to breed the silver mollies with the marbled ones but its not working so now the silver mollies have
been mating and ive had 1 fry. the rest got eaten im going to design the tank so its fry friendly so they can hide.

any suggestions how to design the tank
or and suggestions on how to change the water or temp. to have more pregenant mollies
ty very much. :good:

P.S i have a spare 60 litre fully equipped and running with no fish
any idears?

just make sure you have loads of hiding places, like plants, caves, rock structures that only has gabs big enough for the fry to fit in :good:

my experience with mollies is just leave them to it :) they seem to know what they're doin.

makin your tank more fry friendly how lilfishie suggests will help u save a few more but the best thing to do is to get yourself a breeding trap.

Tom

if you choose to use a breeder please let the mother birth in the main tank and net the fry, otherwise it will stress the mother and could cause her to abort the fry, good luck :good:

thankyou everyone my 1 fry is in a net breeder but i would rather design the tank so i can leave the fish
to have fry on their own and most of them survive

today im getting more silver mollies

ps. Do guppies and mollies get on with each other
because some of my mollies fin nip sometimes

tankyou

i never had a problem mollies breed quite happily and i never use a seperate tank or breeding net, just give them some cover like plants and the babies will do fine.
enjoy the breeding, be careful bacause you will end up with alot of babies like me and i cant bear to give them away, now have lots of tanks and have to seperated the boys from girls.

I've found shells make great fry hide outs, with a stone in front of the opening to make it smaller! Along with piles of stones, I've been using polished river stones, I just pile them on top of each other in a corner (make sure they're stable tho, or you'll end up with squashed fry!), leaves lots of little "fry size" gaps between. Lots of plants are really good too, they make good cover and double as a food source (if you get the right ones).

Most reactions

trending

Back