Mobile Broadband And Ps3

You NEED a wired connection for online gaming.

With mobile/satellite, your pings will be horrible. At least 400ms, thats 0.4 of a second for your press of the button to be sent to the server, and then another 0.4 seconds for it to reply. So, every time you shoot an enemy, you'll actually be shooting where he was a second ago, and miss.

Open NAT is not needed nor does it make a difference, unless you're hosting the game.

Right i will spell it out for the people that can not read

i had played halo 3 with no disconections or lag with a strict nat (with no slowdowns) for over 2 motnhs with no problems!! end of story why would i post that i did something if i did'nt? #92### #33### this forum is going downhill fast

chill out bud. PS3 and box360 have a different connection system. for a start box360 has dedicated servers, that's why you pay. i, for one, accept you did as you say. but, this will not work on a PS3!

You NEED a wired connection for online gaming.

With mobile/satellite, your pings will be horrible. At least 400ms, thats 0.4 of a second for your press of the button to be sent to the server, and then another 0.4 seconds for it to reply. So, every time you shoot an enemy, you'll actually be shooting where he was a second ago, and miss.

Open NAT is not needed nor does it make a difference, unless you're hosting the game.
what you just said is a load of rubbish as its been tried and tested by myself and my father

If you feel like being ignorant of somebody who is more qualified and actually understands the inner workings of networks, go ahead and pretend your 400ms latency is great and super fast, I 'll just relax here with my latency of 20.

for a start box360 has dedicated servers,
Now that is a load of rubbish.

'xbox 360 has dedicated servers' is a lie, it varies between games (Majority don't).
Do some research next time before you spout incorrect facts.

'xbox 360 has dedicated servers' is a lie, it varies between games (Majority don't).
Do some research next time before you spout incorrect facts.

oh dear, you are wrong again. though i agree not all games have. as for the box360 and a mobi dongle. there is not a shadow of a doubt, YOU ARE WRONG. but of course, all the reports/reviews on the net, are wrong?they must be,
because you are qualified. rafl. good job its irrelevant to the OP>

anyway, enough is enough. it wont work on a PS3. which was the OP's question.

My goodness! I havent been on in a few days and noticed I had a few responses! Seems a few folk have differing opinions.

I see everyones point of view but alot of folk are talking about Xbox which I understand operate differently to PS3's (although I dont know anything about it myself). For the reord I went into an o2 shop and asked the tech guy there. He said it wouldn't work as the download limit would get exceeded because the PS3 has to continually stream information for the online gaming. Also he said that while the DOWNLOAD speed is not too bad if you are in a city where you get a good 3G reception for a mobile dongle, the UPLOAD rate is rubbish and thats where I would lose performance.

He didn't recommend it and said that a landline would be the only viable option.

chish

My goodness! I havent been on in a few days and noticed I had a few responses! Seems a few folk have differing opinions.

I see everyones point of view but alot of folk are talking about Xbox which I understand operate differently to PS3's (although I dont know anything about it myself). For the reord I went into an o2 shop and asked the tech guy there. He said it wouldn't work as the download limit would get exceeded because the PS3 has to continually stream information for the online gaming. Also he said that while the DOWNLOAD speed is not too bad if you are in a city where you get a good 3G reception for a mobile dongle, the UPLOAD rate is rubbish and thats where I would lose performance.

He didn't recommend it and said that a landline would be the only viable option.

chish

I think every one is agreed, it isn't viable on a PS3. though as 101 points out, it my be on a box360. (i appreciate this is irrelevant to you. something i have pointed out too)

you mention a "landline". this would mean a bb connection i assume?

incidentally, i have a 20mb connection, but my upload is only 720k. i only lag, when other i paly with, lag too. so you dont need a massive upload speed to play PS3 shooters.

All,
The name calling in this thread is not allowed and has been removed.

1) This thread may now read a little funny, as I cut out the parts that clearly broke the rules. If there are other instances of name-calling or abuse in this thread, please don't hesitate to PM me, any of the other mods, or best is to hit the report button on the thread.

2) If there is any more un-civil behavior, people will start losing posting and membership privileges. We may disagree on something, but we have to be civil and respectful to one another.

I wonder what happened to my post, I had ping/bandwidth results to show I wasn't on a crappy line.

Anyway I will say again since it looks like my post was strangely deleted.

I can confirm that using an o2 branded 3G dongle works well enough to play Black Ops on the Xbox360 with little or no noticeable lag compared with a landline connection. However that has been in the middle of Liverpool city center. However on a PS3 I am unsure whether that will be suitable. Both xbox and ps have to stream data constantly, if they didn't you would probably find yourself either disconnected in the lobby of a game or standing still with nothing happening in the game. Those kind of responses from the "Guru" people make my blood boil.

In response to the "Tech Guru" from O2 all I can say is... the guy in Liverpool Central O2 shop didn't even know the answer to my question when I asked how to make my phone prioritize a Wifi connection over the 3G network, his response was 3G is faster and more secure than my home broadband connection. The guy didn't even know jack about security, he didn't even know what WEP was, which is laughable because it's crackable in seconds if you know your stuff.

If you intend to live in the house for a while what I suggest is you go via Virgin media or another data service because they don't charge you the full fee that BT insist you have to pay for. However if you fail to answer the door to the BT engineer when he comes they expect you to pay the remaining £110 call out fee. BT love daylight robbery, the guy came to our flat and plugged in a handset and said... the line is fine why did BT insist I have to come out? He then jokingly said oh yeh that's right its another £100 for them. Nice guy though...

OK, I guess wireless 3g what-sits may be bearable for console games, but I wouldn't even bother for PC gaming.
I'd also like to reaffirm, Dedicated Servers are a game-by-game thing, and due to the nature of consoles, the majority of console games are PEER TO PEER, not DEDICATED SERVERS.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back