Mobile Broadband And Ps3

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I might be moving to a place that has no fixed landline and so I would have to use mobile broadband. God forbid not being able to play my lovely shiny PS3 online. I know its possible to connect the PS3 through mobile broadband by using an ethernet cable attached to your PC/laptop but how much download usage does it use? If I was to get a mobile broadband package of £15 a month from 3 you get a 3gb download limit for 30 days on a pay as you go dongle, would this be enough to allow me to play online and also surf without having to go over the usage? I only really play the PS3 online at the weekend for a few hours, obviously though this depends on how bored I am and if there is crap on TV lol.

This is the link I saw it on mobile broadband link there is a T mobile one too, but dont know what the coverage of that is like in the area I will be at.

cheers Chish

Hi folks,

I might be moving to a place that has no fixed landline and so I would have to use mobile broadband. God forbid not being able to play my lovely shiny PS3 online. I know its possible to connect the PS3 through mobile broadband by using an ethernet cable attached to your PC/laptop but how much download usage does it use? If I was to get a mobile broadband package of £15 a month from 3 you get a 3gb download limit for 30 days on a pay as you go dongle, would this be enough to allow me to play online and also surf without having to go over the usage? I only really play the PS3 online at the weekend for a few hours, obviously though this depends on how bored I am and if there is crap on TV lol.

This is the link I saw it on mobile broadband link there is a T mobile one too, but dont know what the coverage of that is like in the area I will be at.

cheers Chish

I'm unsure how much it would cost. but mobile bb will not provide the through put you need for online gaming. its, simply, not fast enough. the figure many look good on paper, but the reality is a lot different. your only option may be a satellite connection.

Hi Raptorexx,

Thanks for the reply, I have been googling it quite abit and a lot of poeple seem to think its pretty fast and dont have too many problems as long as they have a really good reception and get a 3G connection not a 2G one.

Some did say that they experienced lag sometimes admittedly. Has anyone tried it and know what I can do?

Satellite connection connection must cost a mint, does it?

cheers Chish

Hi folks,

cheers Chish

I'm unsure how much it would cost. but mobile bb will not provide the through put you need for online gaming. its, simply, not fast enough. the figure many look good on paper, but the reality is a lot different. your only option may be a satellite connection.
I think your screwed mate, tranfer speed are poor your ping would be very high aswell, 3gb a month, not sure if its enough.

Hi Raptorexx,

Thanks for the reply, I have been googling it quite abit and a lot of poeple seem to think its pretty fast and dont have too many problems as long as they have a really good reception and get a 3G connection not a 2G one.

Some did say that they experienced lag sometimes admittedly. Has anyone tried it and know what I can do?

Satellite connection connection must cost a mint, does it?

cheers Chish

its fast for MOBILE. even 7mb mobile connections rarely get close to 3mb.

This is a total bummer, thanks for the info guys. I looked into satellite broadband through a company called tooway. you can get a satellite kit for 199 quid and pay 29.99 a month for it. Do you think it would be good enough?

here is the link satellite link

cheers chish

This is a total bummer, thanks for the info guys. I looked into satellite broadband through a company called tooway. you can get a satellite kit for 199 quid and pay 29.99 a month for it. Do you think it would be good enough?

here is the link satellite link

cheers chish

no, its about the same speed as the dongle.

Okidoke, thats cool, thanks for all the help. I went to look at the place in question tonight and its not nice, so i wont be moving in there anyway. It was a caravan for residency let. I have lived in caravans before and been very happy and warm etc... one caravan I lived infor a few years, but even if I had gold teeth, played a banjo and called all my kids jim bob, I still would nt have stayed in this caravan lol.

But at least I know that mobile broadband wont be good enough for gaming so I have learnt something new.

thanks again.

what you have been told is unfortunatly wrong i have myself used a mobile dongle to play on the 360 online

as long as you dont use voice chat (bumps up your usage no end) you will not hit 7gb a month

what you have been told is unfortunatly wrong i have myself used a mobile dongle to play on the 360 online

as long as you dont use voice chat (bumps up your usage no end) you will not hit 7gb a month

its a ps3 guy. you have to connect through a PC, and/or a router, to allow internet access, via a mobi dongle. and its dog slow, for today's shooters, anyway. we tried to sort this out some months ago. the dongle worked fine on a lappy, but collapsed in a heap when trying to play BBC2. sometimes it ran, but lagged like swine. and PS3's lag on a fast connection, you can imagine how bad it is @ 2-3mb

mabay u did play on a dongle mabay u didn't, but either way ur connection would suck, 1st you wouldn't be able to forward the xbox live ports meaning your NAT would be strict , this seriously slows your connection to hosts and also makes finding games really really hard, not only that the lag would be rediculas. i lag and im on 7mb connection with a speed test from speedtest.net of 6.8mb .

dongles are made to read e-mails > view forums and the basic stuff, not for gaming, hell i have a orange dongle and that struggles to keep up with a game of poker on-line

although if you setup the dongle to your pc and shared the connection from the pc to the xbox or watever you could get it to work although the problems above would still be present

Right i will spell it out for the people that can not read

i had played halo 3 with no disconections or lag with a strict nat (with no slowdowns) for over 2 motnhs with no problems!! end of story why would i post that i did something if i did'nt? #92### #33### this forum is going downhill fast

i run on a strict nat my nat simply will not open it opens for a bit then closes itself again lol but i have no problems joining and hosting games at all no slow speeds ever i cant actually remember last time i lagged, this is on the 360 not ps3 so there may be a difference.

i run on a strict nat my nat simply will not open it opens for a bit then closes itself again lol but i have no problems joining and hosting games at all no slow speeds ever i cant actually remember last time i lagged, this is on the 360 not ps3 so there may be a difference.

u need to make your xbox 360 ip stay the same rather than automatic, if you forward the port and your xbox is set to automatic, every time you turn on your xbox the ip changes meaning the port you forwarded is no longer for the xbox. just goto dashboard > network setting > manual setting and fill in the info .

to get the info, you need on a pc connected to the same router goto start > run > cmd and type "ipconfig /all"

from the screen that follows take down the subnet mask default gateway and dns ( domain named server )

now in network settings on your xbox type in the info you just got

if you tell me what router you have i can help u further :)

now you will have open NAT every time you turn on your xbox :)

stewart

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back