Mmmm Mmmm Mbweca!

Exiled

Fish Herder
Reaction score
These are my Cynotilapia afra's whose parents were wild-caught in the Mbweca region of Lake Malawi (just south of Cobue'). There's very little info on them on the net and not even a mention of them in books. So in the aquarist world they're pretty new :hey: They are extremely aggressive and put on WILD displays for the females which aren't pictured here because they are just grey.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• collage2.JPG
    collage2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 22
Very nice pics (again!)

Bet you didn't expect those ghost posts... Honest!

Hi there-- got it from a cichlid breeder who dives in Lake Malawi, catches the fish and brings them home in CT to breed them. I've seen lots of photos of him diving, catching the fish and transporting them back so it's all legit :thumbs: aaand expensive :crazy:

Hey Exiled-- I'm in Manhatten... I WILL TRAVEL TO CT to get those!!!! Can I have that breeder's phone number? :hyper:
I;ve never seen those before in real life, only heard of them like a legend or something. Once I saw a pic of one but it was NOWHERE near that cool looking, it looked more like a Cyno. afra Lion's Cove.... Do you know which one's I mean? Oh and how big are those now?
ok seriously....i want to get in touch with that breeder. :kana:

Hello NYmbuna, welcome to the forum :D What mbuna do you keep? Tanks? Always a pleasure to talk to another mbuna enthusiast :hey:
Ummm, I can PM you his number.
Yeah I know Lion's Cove....not such a pretty fish imo.... Thanks for the compliments though--hopefully he's got some ready to go for you. He also breeds some rare Synodontis if you're interested. :thumbs:

and here you go--this is how big they are compared to my hand--which is tiny. The Mbweca's are about 1.5 inches now. :fun:

Attachments

• mbweca_size.JPG
    mbweca_size.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 23
cool pics of really cool fish!
are they hard to keep? (yes, I'm a newb, as new as they get)

Welcome to the forum, duendecillo :D
Hard to keep? I don't think so.... it takes a bit of preparation to get their water parameters optimal, and maintain it, and they do require frequent water changes, and lots of territory (ie. rocks rocks rocks) but WELL worth the effort. The mbwecas that I have are pretty aggressive---I'd say even more aggressive than the fish that are infamous for aggression like Demasoni's. However, once the tank's social hierarchy became established the fish themselves struck a balance in my tank. They are really the most interesting animals I've ever kept. :wub:

Thanks Chris! You want the Breeder's number too? :rofl: Oh wait, what am I saying--you got fish comming out your ears! :lol:

Find anyone to take your Brichardi Army?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back