Mixing Cory Eggs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I was just after advice about resealing a corner of my 80L
have you got pictures of the tank where it needs resealing?

you can normally dry the glass and silicon.
use a single sided razorblade to remove the old silicon.
then use an aquarium glass silicon to put a new bead of silicon where you removed the old stuff from.
let it dry for a few days to a week and fill the tank up.

have you got pictures of the tank where it needs resealing?

you can normally dry the glass and silicon.
use a single sided razorblade to remove the old silicon.
then use an aquarium glass silicon to put a new bead of silicon where you removed the old stuff from.
let it dry for a few days to a week and fill the tank up.

Just a very quick hi-jack since we're on this topic - @Colin_T , I bought a second-hand fluval recently, but hate the lid and intend to replace it with glass or arylic. But the top has this thick, really unevenly applied black silicone all the way around. Could I scrape that off with a razor blade as well, without leaving a gross residue? Or is there any product that helps remove silicone residue? I won't damage the silicone at the sides of course, and can always reseal the top corners with some clear silicone! Would really like to remove the stuff from the top rim though!
DSCF8620.JPG

Just a very quick hi-jack since we're on this topic - @Colin_T , I bought a second-hand fluval recently, but hate the lid and intend to replace it with glass or arylic. But the top has this thick, really unevenly applied black silicone all the way around. Could I scrape that off with a razor blade as well, without leaving a gross residue? Or is there any product that helps remove silicone residue? I won't damage the silicone at the sides of course, and can always reseal the top corners with some clear silicone! Would really like to remove the stuff from the top rim though!
Yes you can use a single sided razorblade to remove excess silicon. The previous owner might have put it there to stop the glass being chipped or to cover a chip so be careful removing it. It might have also been put there by the manufacturer and they just didn't clean it up.

There is no solvent for removing dry silicon so just use a single sided razorblade and carefully remove the excess.

Yes you can use a single sided razorblade to remove excess silicon. The previous owner might have put it there to stop the glass being chipped or to cover a chip so be careful removing it. It might have also been put there by the manufacturer and they just didn't clean it up.

There is no solvent for removing dry silicon so just use a single sided razorblade and carefully remove the excess.

Thank you! Pretty sure the silicone on the rim is purely to protect the glass from the lid - with the hood on, you can't see the rim. It's an older model Fluval tank where the lid/hood fits down tightly over the glass, tube light fitting in a separate centre piece, two sliding pieces either side to use for access.

Not my photo/tank since I don't want to muck about putting the lid on right now, pinched this one from google images - but looks like my tank, with the original lid:
tank lid.jpg

But since I have a LED bar, don't really care for the look of the hood, and want to potentially have wood and plants emerging from the top, I'd like to remove the ugly black silicone and just store the hood away. :)

If I discover any chips or anything underneath though, will definitely re-seal with some clear silicone!

@Biancah76 , I've just stumbled across this video about spawning and raising sterbai cories, but the info about how to raise them etc is the same regardless of species. But it truly is the clearest, most comprehensive explanation about how and why to do certain things to improve survival rates, and I picked up some tips too. Will add it to the pinned thread as well, but since we just talked about this and you're raising eggs/fry now, thought you might find it helpful too! Also happens to have incredibly clear, gorgeous macro shots of tiny fry - you can even see one moving in the egg. It's great!

Just thought I would update you all, I have 59 surviving from the two clutches, there are only a few from second batch judging by size, they are big enough to see their little eyes and fins now, they've just had a bowl upgrade, I have sacrificed a casserole dish, with more floor space so they can spread out. They seem to be feeding happily from the liquifry and freeze-dried bloodworms (ground and mixed into a paste, before injected into the bottom I saw recommended on a different thread.) I do have some microworms on the way.

I'm half tempted to just add them to community, as the two juveniles I already have managed to survive, and they hatched straight in there? I've been thinking about it, and I don't have space for all of them, I suspect I have about 50 peppered and 9 albino bronze, I'm sure I could sell some, or if not LFS said they would take some but maybe a little survival of the fittest would ensure I just get the healthiest.
They are faster than I would have expected, my greatest worry is catching them again if there are too many!
I'm not sure they would have the strength to avoid filter intake and I have read stories of people finding them swimming on the canister sponge during maintenance, being swallowed whole by another fish is one thing, but I'd feel really bad if they ended up in Eheim.

I was thinking I might give them another week so they aren't quite such tasty looking morsels, and add them to community at night while the adults are asleep to give them a chance to scope out the hiding spots with less activity. Would give me a chance to buy an inlet sponge before adding them too.
The shrimplets do alright, some are eaten of course, but the population has a steady increase going, and I have been forgoing the fast day since I noticed the juveniles anyway, so adults are well fed.
They could go in the quarantine biorb, as I'm fairly sure there is already some in there from the first clutch anyway.
Just looking for general estimates on survival rate really?
Other inhabitants https://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=Have&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=120&AquTankDepth=45&AquTankHeight=55&AquListBoxFilter=Eheim+Professional+3+2180&AquTextFilterRate=1211+&AquListBoxFilter2=Hagen+Fluval+103&AquTextFilterRate2=95+&AquFilterString=Guppy&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=3&FormSubmit=<+Remove&AquListBoxSelected=6+x+Gold+Tetra+(Hemigrammus+rodwayi)&AlreadySelected=200909300005:6:0:,200909300093:10:0:,200909300161:8:0:,200909300068:15:0:,200912101014:1:0:,200911082326:30:0:,200909300144:9:0:,200909300039:3:0:,201002081137:6:0:,200909300065:3:0:,200909300033:1:0:&FilterMode=Display+only+suitable+species+for+your+tank&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=L&AqLengthUnit=cm&AqSortType=sname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple
IMG_20220604_180734.jpgIMG_20220604_193215.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back