Missing Shrimp

So an update on the Dennerle food, having bought a sample pack and then some Complete.
The sample pack contains;
5 Leaf mix
Complete
Mineral
Protein
Snow Pops (Soya)

All definitely drew all 3 types of shrimp out to feed, (Amano, Red Cherry and Wood) and all bar one were also gratefully accepted by the kuhli loach, panda garra, cherry barbs and the dwarf gourami!
The one exception was the Snow Pops, which is mainly soya and differs from the others in that it quickly breaks down and spreads itself about. I could see this being useful if you had a lot of shrimplets/fry to feed. The kuhli loach would rush out to investigate this one, but never tucked in with the same enthusiasm they showed for the rest.

On reflection, I couldn't really see much difference and so chose a larger pack of the Complete, which has all of the goodies contained within the separate 'flavours'. I suppose feeding a variety of flavours would make life more stimulating for the shrimp.

As a slight aside, I have noticed that just one of the Amano shrimp has a cute habit of grabbing a piece of food and then scuttling away with it to an obviously favourite spot.

Bruce, how long was your tank established before adding the shrimp? Reason I ask, I've been trying to figure out why my shrimp disappeared and, in doing so, have read that I need to have my tank at least 4 months matured prior to adding stock. Trying to figure out how much weight this holds. If true, I'll wait a few more months and try again.

First shrimp, Amanos, were added on the 20th September, (Post #213).
The tank first received water on the 31st August, (Post #52).
The first fish went in on 10th September, (Post#165).

NOTE that this tank's cycling was boosted by the addition of plants and media from my established Tank No.1.

First shrimp, Amanos, were added on the 20th September, (Post #213).
The tank first received water on the 31st August, (Post #52).
The first fish went in on 10th September, (Post#165).

NOTE that this tank's cycling was boosted by the addition of plants and media from my established Tank No.1.
🤔

Not the 4-6 month maturity I've read about then. Alas, the search for my shortcomings continues...

🤔

Not the 4-6 month maturity I've read about then. Alas, the search for my shortcomings continues...
NOTE that the transferred 'mature' elements came from my first tank, which was set up back in early July, so there are more months there.
There's also, perhaps, more confirmation on the efficacy of plants when cycling a tank.

What else did I do..?
Oh yes...because of the Panda Garra, I made sure that there was no shortage of beneficial bacteria and did what I could to enhance the biofilm in the tank.
I'm also allowing the tank water to run as slightly 'green' and they shrimp, especially the wood shrimp, seem to enjoy that.

NOTE that the transferred 'mature' elements came from my first tank, which was set up back in early July, so there are more months there.
There's also, perhaps, more confirmation on the efficacy of plants when cycling a tank.

What else did I do..?
Oh yes...because of the Panda Garra, I made sure that there was no shortage of beneficial bacteria and did what I could to enhance the biofilm in the tank.
I'm also allowing the tank water to run as slightly 'green' and they shrimp, especially the wood shrimp, seem to enjoy that.
What I as reading was that a "mature" tank of 4-6 months was recommended as this allows time for more biofilm to develop. My tank was cycled and running (with plants) for about 2 weeks when I added 5. Added 6 more about 3 weeks later.

I'll give it a few months and try again. In the meantime I'll live vicariously through others.

What I as reading was that a "mature" tank of 4-6 months was recommended as this allows time for more biofilm to develop. My tank was cycled and running (with plants) for about 2 weeks when I added 5. Added 6 more about 3 weeks later.

I'll give it a few months and try again. In the meantime I'll live vicariously through others.
I'll assume you've read articles on how to increase biofilm? With Autumn now well underway here in Blighty, I'm probably going to be collecting a leaf or two to drop into the tank. I found this to be a useful link....Oooops...it goes to another Forum. Link removed. :oops:

I wonder if the several months thing would work with snails as livestock and feeding them with leaves or something?

Also, if the tank is still running at present minus the shrimp (could they have crawled out?) well you're a month or two in at least already. Too lazy to read whole thread again... if it's a sponge filter are there mature sponges from a home tank you could use?

I wonder if the several months thing would work with snails as livestock and feeding them with leaves or something?

Also, if the tank is still running at present minus the shrimp (could they have crawled out?) well you're a month or two in at least already. Too lazy to read whole thread again... if it's a sponge filter are there mature sponges from a home tank you could use?
Too lazy! At least you're honest. :p
@noobfish 's thread is the one entitled 'Missing Shrimp'.
Prior to actually setting up my second tank, I stuffed an extra sponge into the filter of my established tank and used this when I set up the new tank.
I also added 4 nerite snails to the second tank, very, very early on, trusting to the plants, minor algal growth and bacterial biofilm to feed them.

A further update on the Dennerle foods;

All of the 5 sample varieties attract shrimp and, in particular, the kuhli loach!
The Panda garra is also quite keen.

All appear to have the same degree of attraction, although, of them all, the soya 'Snow Pops' is the one most disregarded by both fish AND shrimp. I can only see this particular flavour being useful for when there are lots and lots of shrimplets to feed, as this is the one that breaks down the most and spreads itself about. That said, it does get eaten and, if I feed before lights out, there's not a trace of it left in the morning.

In future, I'll just be buying the 'Complete'...which actually has everything, apart from soya, that the others have.

Post feeding frenzy, (the other blurs are Cherry Barb, Chilli Rasbora and assorted shrimp);

DSCN4190.JPG

DSCN4193.JPG

Reactions: CRS
Revisiting my disappearing shrimp. In another thread about my shrimp with eggs, @Naughts noted that one had discoloration on it's back and stated that it could be an infection of sorts. I noticed this dull strip on more than one shrimp, but thought maybe they were getting ready to molt. Possibly this was the culprit? 2 of them had this when I got them, so maybe there was an issue with the stock at my LFS?

I added some shrimps to my tank on Sunday, 3 red, 3 blue and 3 yellowish ones (I haven't learnt the proper names for them yet)
I noticed one had died by the following morning, only 2 of them come out, they seem happy just sitting on the wood, i've just read through this thread seems that it's normal for them to hide.

I dropped two pellets into the tank on Sunday, the guppies seem to enjoy them more than the shrimps.

Do they behave differently, or is it just coinsidence that i can only find 2 red?

One of the blue ones came out of my FX6 during the water change, put it back in the tank and haven't seen it since.

Post feeding frenzy, (the other blurs are Cherry Barb, Chilli Rasbora and assorted shrimp);

View attachment 144617
View attachment 144618

Have you got any more photos? i like the Loaches, what do you have in your tank?

Most reactions

Back