Missing Shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I added some shrimps to my tank on Sunday, 3 red, 3 blue and 3 yellowish ones (I haven't learnt the proper names for them yet)
I noticed one had died by the following morning, only 2 of them come out, they seem happy just sitting on the wood, i've just read through this thread seems that it's normal for them to hide.

I dropped two pellets into the tank on Sunday, the guppies seem to enjoy them more than the shrimps.

Do they behave differently, or is it just coinsidence that i can only find 2 red?

One of the blue ones came out of my FX6 during the water change, put it back in the tank and haven't seen it since.

Have you got any more photos? i like the Loaches, what do you have in your tank?
Don't assume a missing shrimp has died. They do lay low and appear to find their own spots to hang out, before re-emerging. They'll also disappear when they feel a moult coming on.
I've found that, surprisingly, given that they're the same species, the reds will congregate together, as will the blues and yellows.
The coloured shrimp in my tank are neocaridina and they can interbreed. Apparently, over time and generations, they'll revert back to the original brown colour, but some interesting 'sports' may appear during this time.
The non-coloured are caridina Amano shrimp and these cannot breed in freshwater.
Allegedly.
Given that I have clear shrimplets, I can only assume that I also have some clear Ghost shrimp in the tank and that these are quite capable of making baby shrimp.
Check out my in-Forum Journal. Lots of pictures and videos.
Shrimp make an appearance from Page 16.

Reactions: CRS
Don't assume a missing shrimp has died. They do lay low and appear to find their own spots to hang out, before re-emerging. They'll also disappear when they feel a moult coming on.
I've found that, surprisingly, given that they're the same species, the reds will congregate together, as will the blues and yellows.
The coloured shrimp in my tank are neocaridina and they can interbreed. Apparently, over time and generations, they'll revert back to the original brown colour, but some interesting 'sports' may appear during this time.
The non-coloured are caridina Amano shrimp and these cannot breed in freshwater.
Allegedly.
Given that I have clear shrimplets, I can only assume that I also have some clear Ghost shrimp in the tank and that these are quite capable of making baby shrimp.
Check out my in-Forum Journal. Lots of pictures and videos.
Shrimp make an appearance from Page 16.

I will have a look, will keep me busy for awhile 🧐🤓

@noobfish
Just for what I hope is a positive update for this particular thread...
The addition of leaves was a great idea.
To date in mine, I've added an oak, beech, sycamore (field maple) and a sweet chestnut.
The shrimp almost immediately gravitated to these and now are usually to be found feeding off the surfaces of them.

Most reactions

Back