Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Missing Scales

Discussion in 'New World Cichlids' started by Tempestuousfury, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Tempestuousfury

One of my severums is 1-3" larger than the others and I noticed him ripping a few scales off another severum.

I'm giving him away, but what do you guys suggest I do about the scales? I have corydoras, and the general consensus is no salt, so... anything else (other than melafix)?

2. Tolak

Tolak Gun Toting Lunatic

Plenty of water changes in a smaller tank. I've healed some really torn up angels with daily water changes of 50% and nothing more.

3. The Equillibrium

Is'nt that a bit harsh on the bacteria colony? I have some female bettas that need something like that, but...it sounds a bit heavy.

4. Tolak

Tolak Gun Toting Lunatic

Your nitrifying bacteria reside mainly in the filter media, and to a small extent in the gravel and on the surfaces of other decorations, including the tank itself. Water changes of 50% or more are a normal thing for discus breeders, I do 50% daily on fry tanks for the first week or two.

5. Boids-n-more

Boids-n-more Member

just to add on the water changes , is to make sure you use dechlorinated water.

6. Tempestuousfury

I already do water changes once a week at about 50%, so I could probably bump it up to 2 or 3 times a week then. ;)

7. vancouver

vancouver - l l a m a s -

Severums are pretty tough.. so a couple scales isn't too big of a deal.. just keep the water clean and they should heal up fine.. I don't know if I'd be doing 50% a week.. seems kinda drastic.. I do 25% when I change water.. just in case the water in the tap is a bit diff then the tank water.