Mini Spawn Diary; version 2.0

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
I hope no one minds if I make another version of this thread... the old one was getting huge, cluttered, and confusing.

I decided to breed Ipos with Mini this time, because I'm afraid of Lil eating the eggs again and think I'll worry less if I have a successful spawn under my belt before I try him again. I wasn't going to start a thread until I had fry, but things are looking promising, and I can't help but show off the little eggies :p

Maybe I should have conditioned Ipos longer, but he had been at my LFS about two weeks and was getting live and frozen food there as well and he just seemed to be in tip-top condition, so I went ahead and put he and Mini together last night after letting them flirt through glass for a couple of days. Ipos had already built a massive bubblenest under a piece of styrofoam cup, but he abandoned it for some reason and built another equally large nest at the other side of the tank -_-. Five hours after I put them together, I checked up on them and was greeted by a full clutch of eggs under the second nest :hyper:

There look to be about 75 eggs, which I think is about the maximum number Mini can carry at once, being as small as she is. Ipos isn't guarding them as well as some betta fathers, but he is at least checking up on them and rolling them around in his mouth from time to time :). They appear to be fungus-free so far, and barring any unexpected turn of events, they ought to hatch late tonight.

But enough talk, it's time for pics!

Momma
DSCN7074.jpg

Poppa
DSCN7470.jpg

Bubblenest #1
DSCN7548.jpg

Nest #2 (that black thing is an old aquatic plant pot Mini likes to hide in)
DSCN7552.jpg

Eggs, at location #1!
DSCN7554.jpg

Ipos moved the eggs this morning for some reason... It scared me to death at first when I didn't see them where they used to be!! Second location:
DSCN7607.jpg

Daddy with eggs :wub:
DSCN7606.jpg

Gyaaaaaaaaaaah SO CUTE! I love seeing/hearing about betta parents to be <3 Mum and Pop are lovely fish! I'm curious to see what colors the babies will be :D Please keep us updated!

Hmm... is spadetail dominant or recessive? Anyone know? Ipos is spadetail (which I LOVE,) and I'm expecting 100% DT geno plakats, but I dunno whether they'll be roundtail or spade?

OMG! those are going to be some *beautiful* plak babies :drool:

Ipos must like the plastic plant pot better than the cup... he probably knows best ;) what a good Daddy!

Congratulations on the successful spawn. Hope this one works out for you. Will you try spawning Lil with Mini again?

FishEnthusiast said:
Congratulations on the successful spawn. Hope this one works out for you. Will you try spawning Lil with Mini again?
Unless I get a female at the betta show this weekend who I think will be a better match, yes. Either that, or I may breed him with one of Mini's daughters (assuming they hatch)

mybabieshavefins said:
Any hatching activity yet? <3
I just got my first chance to check on them this morning, actually. At first I didn't see anything and was beginning to wonder if maybe Mini was infertile........ BUT WE'VE GOT FRY!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I've only seen one actual fry so far, but I saw him drop out of the nest and wiggle his way back up to it. I also got a good look at some eggs when Ipos was messing with them, and some fry are half in and half out... I also saw one of the eggs wiggle all by itself :hyper:
Omigosh Omigosh, so excited!

Edit: Being the biology student I am, I put 4 eggs into a separate container when they were first laid so I could observe them individually... and even those are hatching!! None of them have grown fungus and I saw two of them wiggle!

Congratulations! Have you peeked closely at the nest and seen the little tails hanging out yet? That's one of my favorite parts.

Kiarra said:
Congratulations! Have you peeked closely at the nest and seen the little tails hanging out yet? That's one of my favorite parts.
There are only like 5 tails so far, hehe... they're in the process of hatching though, so it shouldn't be long ;)

EEE! CONGRATS! What fabulous news, you must be SO excited! Aww, it must be so much fun fry-watching >_< I hope everything continues to get well! Please post some pics when you have a chance! *hug!*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back