Mini Spawn Diary; version 2.0

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I managed to snag some pics of the cute little fry... about half are done hatching now, and the rest are in various stages of getting out of the egg :D

It's raining fry!
DSCN7625.jpg

But don't worry, daddy sees them
DSCN7659.jpg

Back in the nest you go!
DSCN7685.jpg

And just where do you think you're going, little mister?? :sly:
DSCN7674.jpg

Fry sticking to the aquatic plant pot
DSCN7675.jpg

Closeup ^_^
fry.jpg

They. Are. So. Tiny. And. CUTE! And daddy is being so good! He's taking care of them instead of having a snack :lol: Thank you so much for sharing this event! Grow big and strong, little guys!

Eee, out of curiosity, do you plan to cull them? I'm interested in breeding in the future and was wondering how many babies are TOO many babies?

Congrats again, The babies are so sweet! I can't wait to watch them grow into beautiful bettas. What are you going to do with them? Sell them, or give them away? So exciting!

I'll not going to cull any unless I'm unlucky enough to have some with bad deformities or something, because it is a pretty small spawn to begin with and I'm not expecting all of them to survive... Some of the eggs haven't even hatched yet (about 1/4th of them)
I'll probably keep a few, might try to sell a couple depending on what they look like, and I guess I'll give the rest to anyone on the forum who wants one and is willing to pay shipping :thumbs:
My LFS has already said they can take some, but I'd rather know who they're going to and know they'll be taken care of.

When the time comes, I'll post an adoption thread for them :thumbs:

I can't wait to see if they're mini like their momma! :hyper:
Edit: :whistle:
DSCN7712.jpg

Can we reserve some now? ;)

Seriously, you have beautiful pictures, and I'm completely in love with your male. He looks very, very similar to my metallic purple Plakat that became the daddy of my first spawn (now three months old).

Wow!! :hyper: those are some cute little Betta babies! Daddy is sooo sweet!! :look: I think I might have to reserve one... or two... theyresocute!

Kingsnorky, over-night express shipping is $25. Plus, the cost of bagging and boxes.

I'm sure Mini and Ipos would be flattered if they knew about all the interest in their babies :*)
I don't know how much shipping would be since I've never shipped a fish before, but I'll have to ask Wuv for pointers on how she ships fish so cheaply *lol*

Anyway, I don't want to go officially reserving any right now since I'm not sure how many are going to make it to adulthood yet and how many I'll want to keep for breeding, but your interest has been noted ;)

Oh, I'm glad to hear you're only planning on culling deformed ones. I personally don't think that culling is cruel, but it's sad nonetheless. That's what's so great about these forums! You can always send them off to good and loving homes if you wind up with babies you can't get rid of! I'm sure you'll have plenty of takers (the betta fanatic in me is screaming to get in line XD) because I'm sure they'll be beautiful fish! Uwaaa, such adorable little itty bitty things!

Kara101584 said:
Congratulations, those are some cute babies! :thumbs:

Are you planning on Spawning Lil' at all? :D
Yeah, I'm going to try him again unless you want him back before then... if he eats the eggs again, though, that's his last chance :sly:
If I can't get any fry from him for whatever reason, you're welcome to some from this spawn when I send Lil back :)

The fry are free-swimming now!! I watched them eating microworms today and they are just the cutest! :wub:
I went to my first betta show this weekend and had my mom feed them microworms for me while I was gone, so tomorrow I may try them on their first baby brine (if I don't think the brine are too big after I see them in comparison, that is)
I'm debating over whether or not to leave Ipos in with them... I think I'll give it a try, since Yeevia has such great success leaving his males with the babies and Ipos doesn't appear to have eaten any of the fry over the weekend.

Most reactions

Back