Might Be A Daft Question But....

danb_1985

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
does it affect the guppies if you only keep males?

i had some before but had 1 male and 2 females which is ideal but know how much males chase females so just wonderin?
 
no i doesnt obviously depends on tank size, theres a fella on here that has a stunning male only tank,,,the problem is when you have mixed you end up with a cramped mixed interbreeding tank
 
so they'll live happily without the instinct to chase a female?
 
While I don't personally see anything wrong with it, I do think that it is a valid question that may need a little more in depth study.

The desire to mate is obviosuly part of a guppy's natural life. And, frankly, I think that main reason a lot of people have a fish tank in their house is to bring a little slice of nature into their homes. And, apart from a few exceptionally rare circumstances, there aren't any all single-sex groups of fish in nature.

I do wonder if not having the presence of females about would mean that the males hormones aren't the same. Again, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad, but I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on it. What differences exist between a guppy grown up in a mixed sex environment versus a guppy grown up in a single-sex environment.
 
If you don't want fry, it's the only way to go with livebearers but Bignose poses a valid question. I know I certainly wouldn't be very happy in an all male world.
 
You have to be daft to keep this hobby.
All questions are valid.
You want to get laid too. (to put a blunt point on things)
 
LOL

IMO the males are probably frustrated, without a female to chase. My male endler try to mate with each other :blush: . That doesn't stop my from separating my endler fry into male and female tanks. Having 2 trios breeding is more than enough for me :rolleyes:.
 
you run the risk of anthromorphisising (sp) here though, while a guppy certainly has an instinct to mate, i'm dubious weather they can experience something as complex as frustration really.

big nose is quite right though, would be very interesting to find out in more detail
 

Most reactions

Back
Top