Micro food for micro fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the process of downsizing my fish, ie going from those that get quite big such as Firemouths, Pearl Gouramis etc to some of the very small ones like the Galaxy Rasbora, Ember Tetra, Tiger Rasbora etc.
I want to be able to successfully bred them and it's known that the fry of these sort of fish are difficult to feed. I did have some success with Neon Tetra fry a couple of years ago by using a boiled egg yolk crumbled down to a powder.
Is this an acceptable food first of all? If so is there a commercially available source rather than having to boil my own eggs.

My tank is 1m x 40cm x 40cm and I'm in the process of setting it up right now to accommodate those small fish.

Welcome to here from a SR exile.
Is Silksworth Aquatics still open in any form? I see the Ltd Co is now dissolved but I’ve been wondering if it’s reopened under another name? I know it changed its Facebook group name last year.

Welcome to here from a SR exile.
Is Silksworth Aquatics still open in any form? I see the Ltd Co is now dissolved but I’ve been wondering if it’s reopened under another name? I know it changed its Facebook group name last year.
Don't think it is. I pass that way sometimes and I think the last time I noticed it was around 2 years ago.
I use Fish Alive in Durham mainly. Very accommodating and friendly. I asked them to source some Microrasbora Erythromicro today and I think they'll have them a week on Tuesday.
They also take most of the fish I want to move on such as around 50 Kribs and the large Golden Barbs and puffer fish that had eaten all the snails and started on fish tails.

Start culturing infusoria, get Hikari First Bites, and move onto live baby brine shrimp, vinegar eels, etc

You can take any high quality flake food and turn it into powder between your thumb and forefinger...or use a coffee grinder or a pepper mill. I sometimes use a Magic Bullet to powder my worm food. For live foods, I prefer sustainable over baby brine shrimp...banana, walter, micro worms. Infusoria, paramecium...

Boiled egg yolk that is pushed through a fine screen/ handkerchief is fine for most baby fish. If you buy a liquid fry food from a pet shop, the main ingredient is boiled egg yolk.

Green water and infusoria are the smallest live foods around and are suitable for all species of freshwater fish fry. The following link has information on culturing live foods including these.

Boiled egg yoke is the best fry food. When pushed through the handkerchief it should form a cloud in the water

Most reactions

trending

Back