Member's African/old World Cichlid Tanks

denis coghlan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Please don’t post yet, this is just a trail!!!!!

This is what I have got so far! Can I please have some suggestions about amendments that can be made? You can post at the bottom of this thread but not the next one!!!! :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Members African Cichlid Tanks

This thread will hopefully evolve into a useful and important photographic database for existing and new members who are interested in the husbandry of African Cichlids. It will provide valuable information regarding all aspects of the hobby; stocking, compatibility, filtration etc…

In order for this database to be accurate and a useful quick referencing tool. It is important that people fully read and understand this first post before submitting their tank to this thread.

Do not post any replies regarding questions or feedback in this thread, as the post will be deleted by a moderator. If you do have a question or a particular comment about an individuals tank please use the PM function provided. The majority of members on this forum will be very happy to field any questions or comments.

If you wish to submit your African Cichlid Tank then please follow these guidelines.

1. Please do not contribute your tank unless the majority â€￾if not all the fishâ€￾ are African cichlids. For example: (Please do not contribute a tropical community tank with angles, barbs and a single yellow lab). PM me if you are unsure.

2. Please ensure to follow the below template for listing your tank specifications. It may be a good idea to cut and paste this into your post. If everyone follows the exact same format then the thread will look very well presented and easier to reference. If you are contributing your tank and are unsure of what your tank specification is for a particular topic please fill in the field with n/a.

Type of setup ? mbuna, shelldweller, peacock

Tank ? Volume (US Gallons, Litres), Dimensions (L x H x W - Inches, cm)

Filtration ? Type, media used, combined GPH/LPH from pumps (tank turn over per hour)

Substrate? Type, depth in inches/cm,

Rockwork ? types i.e. weight (kgs/lbs) and place of purchase

Water chemistry ? pH, KH, GH, temp

Maintenance ? Water change schedule, filter cleaning, substrate cleaning etc.

Lighting ? Type (T8, T5, PC etc.) and quantity (amount of tubes, Watts).

Plants ? list of species, if any. (full scientific/Latin names)

Fish ? list of fish (full scientific/Latin names, common name, species type and origin)
Eg. Lamprologus similes, multifasciatus big eye, shelldweller, Lake Tanganyika

Additional comments ?

Brief history of the tank ?

Discuss any problems you had with the tank/occupants and how you dealt with it? Try to keep it brief yet informative.

3. Please keep the photographs to a minimum. Start with one whole tank shot and if you feel it necessary to get a feel for the tank add additional pictures. There is no need for close up pictures of individual fish or behaviours as there is a wealth of profile information available on the Internet. If the size of the contribution gets out of hand then I will ask for your post to be edited. This may sound obvious but please crop the images to fit within a standard size desktop screen. I ask that all pictures posted be roughly 800 x 600 pixels in size, this will provide uniformity and make for a better looking thread.

4. Finally, please don’t post photos of someone else's work. Members of this forum are from all over the globe and the chances are that if you post someone else’s tank they will know who the original owner is and will have your post promptly deleted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Fish ? list of fish (full scientific/Latin names, common name, species type and origin)
Eg. Lamprologus similes, multifasciatus big eye, shelldweller, Lake Tanganyika"

Could be good to put the amount of each species and a M/F ratio???/ :good:

I would probably combine the Rockwork and Plants into one section called "Decor" or similar to cut the post size down a little. Could also put lighting under filtration in the list to keep the hardware stuff together

Also we need to stress in the warning at the bottom not to post tank pics taken from other websites either without express permission.

Other than that - looks great :good:

"Fish ? list of fish (full scientific/Latin names, common name, species type and origin)
Eg. Lamprologus similes, multifasciatus big eye, shelldweller, Lake Tanganyika"

Could be good to put the amount of each species and a M/F ratio???/ :good:

I cant believe I forgot that one!! I must have a had a bit of a brain-fart. Thanks for pointing that out ginge the amendment will be made in the final draft.

Another idea I was toying with would be to put a link at the end of the fish name thats linked directly to the fish profile.

For example

Lamprologus similes, multifasciatus big eye, shelldweller, Lake Tanganyika, 1m 2F Link

It can be to any of the sites with a good profile section. eg malawimayhem, cichlid-forum.com etc

opinions?

Lamprologus similes, multifasciatus big eye, shelldweller, Lake Tanganyika, 1m 2F Link

It can be to any of the sites with a good profile section. eg malawimayhem, cichlid-forum.com etc

opinions?

Can't do that i'm afraid tanks - its OK in the odd post but for something like this we need to keep it in house - i.e. our very own fish index :D

ooopppppsss, thats another days work! Must set aside some time for the creation of profiles.

But for the profiles we do have on this forum it would be good to stick in the links after the fish name.

Ferris
What sort of disclaimer do you think is required to make sure people don't copy images from other web sites without permission? Can you get banned for it or have your account suspended for a short period of time? just want to know the law?

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?act=boardrules

Forum Rules - You can be warned or banned depending on the circumstances. Obviously 1 simple mistake is just going to get a friendly warning put persistent examples could result in a ban.

Ok I will cut and paste something out of that article and highlight it in red. So ever body takes notice.

I also agree about putting the rocks and plants in the same topic. Not too many people with plants ( apart from the ones who want to be "different" like nick :lol: :lol: :lol: ) so not much point for a space on its own.

Looking forward to seeing this up and running - just means i'll have to get the camera out. :lol:

Yes it does, I think everyone will have to get their cameras out!!!

How does this look and sound as a disclaimer?

!! NOTICE !!

As a member of this forum you have agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or this bulletin board. Please do not post photographs of someone else's work. Members of this forum are from all over the globe and the chances are that if you post someone else’s tank they will know who the original owner is. If you do post work that does not belong to you, your post will be promptly deleted and you will be warned or banned by the moderators depending on the circumstances.

Can i suggest this (slight change):

As a member of this forum you have agreed not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or this bulletin board. Please do not post photographs of someone else's work - This also includes posting pictures/photographs taken from other websites. If you do post work that does not belong to you, your post will be promptly deleted and you are likely to be warned or banned by the moderators depending on the circumstances.

I dropped the bit about members from around the world just to cut it down a bit but its up to you tanks - no real problems at all with that.

Thanks ferris, looks like we have our disclaimer, no worries at all about changing it. :good: :good:

Do people think that food and feeding schedules should be added into the template?

Sounds good to me - we get a lot of feeding questions.

What about adding shop name and area after the fish name, Gives us a good idea whats available where and new comers know where to go.

Oh can you add a spell checker PLEASE ! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back