Melafix

CTlovesKS

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dorset
I have a 3uk G betta tank and need to put some melafix into the tank for him. But not sure how much to be put :(

Could anyone help me
 
Yes be very careful with dosing melafix for Bettas. I'm convinced my last Betta was killed by a reaction to it after treating a wound. There is a supposedly Betta "friendly"version called BettaFix which I understand the Melaleuca concentration is 0.2% rather than the 1.0% in Melafix.
 
okay thanks... will go easy on this then.

he caught his tail in filter and it doesnt seem to be growing back as much as we both hoped. so got told to use a little melafix to fix things up
 
i used melafix with both my ct male bettas on numerous occasions with no ill effects.
works out at around 2 ml to treat 3 uk gallons of water, so dose 2ml daily for 7 days then do a water change.
i assume your fish has damaged fins or an open wound? if so just remember that clean water is the best thing for aiding a quick recovery.

Dave
 
yes his fins are all riped a spilt... we have tried clean water but it doesnt seem to be doing anything anymore :(
 
im also certain that i caused my bettas death by adding the approprite dose of medication. i always advise half dose with bettas and a close eye to be certain. horrible to learn the hard way.
cheers
 
OMG, I had a betta in my community tank that died a few weeks ago.

My plec had developed fin rot, so i treated the water with a fin rot ointment, and then i used melafix in the tank to help the fins grow back.
The next mornin my betta was lying on the bottom of the tank, not lookin 2 good, so i moved him to another tank but sadly he died after a couple of hours. I thought that I musta messed up somewhere with the fin rot ointment, I thought that maybe i had put too much in. I actually never considered that the melafix could of caused the death.
 
Does anyone know how this work with fancy goldfish? My mate has got some huge ones, and one of them has a ripped tail and shes been given melafix, shes been told to put less is that normally advised as she has a shrimp, but after reading loads of posts, the general concensus is its not great - granted thats for bettas, but I dont want her to loose her fish

thanks
 
ripped fins in gold fish is a sign of possible poor water quality, get the water tested and then resolve that if thats the problem and it should save medication.
 
Thanks helterskelter, I told her this last night, she admitted she had only changed the water 3 times since christmas... ( :o )

Its only a small coldwater starter tank something like 1ft by 1ft with 2 fancy goldfish, a plec ( :o ) and a shrimp. Gave her the talk last night about water maintanance - and actually using dechlor ( :o )

Had lots of silent gasps in my head as I was being told...theres just no telling some people :(
 
Tory, your friend needs to know that 2 goldfish in anything smaller than 20-30gals is not good. If she hasn't changed the water but 3 times in 7 months, those fish are swimming in a toxic waste dump! Those fish and plec can't be happy and are probably getting sick. For the fishes sake, tell her to move them.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top