Melafix And Bgkf - Dont Do It!

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
8,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So I decided to add some melafix for the oscar who has had a couple of knocks, nothing serious, but thought Id add some melafix just to aid the healing process after a water change.

I thought melafix would be ok with my black ghost - but hell no - within minutes, he was going spare, rubbing himself on everything, swimming erratically, desperate to get this stuff off of him.

I have netted him and immediately put him in another tank with the severum to ease his discomfort, hopefully the effects will wear off him soon. Now his only problem is the severum who think his tail is food :(

Dont use this stuff with scaleless fish - lesson learned.
 
Melafix is fine to use with ANY fish.

An extra water change would of helped your oscar along just as well to repair.
 
I have just done a water change this morning, one two days ago as well, I saw no harm in giving him a boost with his healing.

And clearly it isnt safe to use on any fish or why would my BGKF who is as calm as they come suddenley going beserk 2 minutes after adding it?
 
i`ve never had a problem with it and i`ve used it with scale less fish such as synos and corys
 
Fish will tend to freak out when you add any chemicals/remedies to the water. I have used it without issues with stingrays and there a damn sight more sensitive than BGK's

Be sure not to overdose too.
 
would bringing the dose up gradualy help???

I.e if you need to add for example 20ml a day start of with 4 doses of 5 ml for the first 2 days then 2 doses of 10 and so on????
 
very strange,


as melafix is probably one of the safest or the safest chemical to use along with pimafix
 
Thats what I thought Chris, otherwise I wouldnt have used it.

Anyway he seems to have calmed down in the other tank and stopped rubbing himself on the bogwood. After a few w/c's will put him back into his normal home.
 
I use a half dose with scaleless fish as stated on the bottle. Never had any problems at all.
 
maybe, he did that " what the hell is she putting in here now?" thing..you have smelt melafix... oh... like dog shampoo ((eeww)), no wonder he didnt like it, poor soul :lol:
 
Ive used melafix on ghosts and mine was fine with it..

Maybe your fish is just a wimp :lol:
 
:lol: he is a delicate little soul indeed. Love him to bits, didnt like seeing him so distressed.
 
Hi minxfishy

Do you have a pic of your BGK? Would love to see him :)

I was looking at some today in my lfs. They were tiny at around 2-3"..first time I've seen them and they looked like a stunning fish. £9.50 each was the asking price, which I thought was a fair price for such a good looking and unusual fish.

When I set my fish house up...will have a couple of these in a 6 footer. :)

Ps, didn't mean to hijack your thread :blush:
 
I shall try to get a pic for you Gun, can be elusive when you want him though :lol:

Not sure how many you can keep together though, as they use electrical currents to find their way around. Better ask that questions somewhere to get an answer.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top