I think my Betta is really ill

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shiverz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So for those that have been responding to my threads recently know two things.

1 - My fish Shoto recently tore his fin and some form of "fluff" grew on it, though this has been treated and is no longer an issue, though it's only been recently that his the last water change took place to remove the salt (following Colins Salt bath procedure).

2 - Shoto also got a new air filter approximately 10 days ago, as the internal one I used to use was stopping him from accessing half of the tank due to the current.

Shoto is now acting really odd. Yesterday he was fine, he came up for his night time feed, and was happy to dance around my hand and greet me as usual, this morning my partner fed him, so I can't account for his behaviour as she puts feed in then leaves (though she always put's in the amount stated on the packet). However, I've been on my PC all day working, and his tank is placed in such a way that I can peer round my monitor and look at him, all day I didn't see him, which I found odd as he normally swims around quite a bit.

So I go over and check and he's inside his little "shelter" and his gills were sticking out slightly as if he was struggling to get air, at first I thought he was stuck, so I rinse my hands and dry them and I go to give him some "aid". I pulled the lid up and Shoto came to say hi showing that he wasn't stuck, and that he was "fine", however, when I put the lid back down he darted away from the light into his little "shelter", I also noticed his colours seemed dull, he has more of a grey tinge to him rather than his brilliant white and red. I turned his light off, thinking it was affecting him, and I busted out the API master test kit. His Ammonia came back so close to 0 I could barely tell the difference in colour, his nitrite was 0ppm and his nitrate was at around 10. Nevertheless I know my fish and I know his behaviour was odd so I thought I'd clear out some water and do a small water change.

When it came to the water change, Shoto did not come out during the gravel clean/siphoning. This, was really bizarre, he never ever leaves me alone whilst performing a WC, I'm always having to check where he is because the amount of times I've nearly hit him is unreal. Seeing him laying under his shelter made me realise something isn't right. As I was adding in water, I'll admit I was a bit preoccupied and the water was a little warmer than usual, as I poured it in Shoto came out and seemed to favour the warmer water, lay down under the small torrent and then swam away when it was finished back to his shelter. As he did so, he seemed to "scrape" himself against the floor, I tried looking at him but I can only really get a good look at one side. I have noticed a scale his missing however it seems to already be healed (or close to it).

I also noticed when doing the WC, his little pellets were bobbing along the side of the water, he hadn't eaten anything this morning, all these signs say to me Shoto is ill, naturally I'm flapping about because I think he's really ill. Other then what I've witnessed I can't give any more information, his mannerism is all off and tells me he's very sick, but to physically look at him, he seems fine (except from the healing scale).
I took a picture before starting this thread, he was laying on his side.

To clarify steps I've taken -
I noticed the temperature was around 22, I bumped that up 2 degrees (Celsius).
I turned his light off as he seemed to be shying away from it and seeking shelter.
Performed a 50% water change with tap safe water.
I've included a picture and a video of his "breathing", I just saw him swim up to the top of the tank to get some air, now he's returned to his bed and is again laying on his side.

shoto on his side.jpg

If anyone can help, I'd be super appreciative. He's my little buddy.

I can't follow what was written but if you changed the filter recently you could have ammonia or nitrite in the water and that would be stressing the fish.

Check the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two while the new filter establishes.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

I can't follow what was written but if you changed the filter recently you could have ammonia or nitrite in the water and that would be stressing the fish.

Check the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two while the new filter establishes.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Thank you for replying. It was a large post I know, I just felt it prudent to explain his behaviour, my apologies for making it so long.

I changed the filter 10 days ago. I made sure to cut strips of media from my old filter, and implemented it into the new filter to help seed it.

I did test the parameters of the water. Ammonia was practically 0ppm
Nitrite was 0ppm
Nitrate was a little below 10ppm

I also performed a 50% wc and cleaned the substrate, I always use tap safe whenever I change water, this time was no different.

Still no progress with Shoto, he bobs up to the surface for air, then, swims back down to his shelter.

I'll test his water parameters again in the morning. I just hope he pulls through the night.

2 - Shoto also got a new air filter approximately 10 days ago, as the internal one I used to use was stopping him from accessing half of the tank due to the current.
For future reference, you can slow the output of an internal filter by placing sponge, like that used in simple sponge filters, over the outlet.
I concur that the temperature is too low.

The parameter that is out of whack is the temperature. 22 is cold for a betta and will make him lethargic. Put it higher, 26-28.
Already adjusted the temperature slightly. Though to be honest I really don't trust the thermometer inside the tank. I ordered an electrical one which arrives tomorrow to double check.
For future reference, you can slow the output of an internal filter by placing sponge, like that used in simple sponge filters, over the outlet.
I concur that the temperature is too low.
I did originally create a baffle. I shoved sponge in the spout, then got an acrylic tube, drilled holes into it and that ran the length of the tank, this was then attached to the spout and would disperse the water, but even with those additions it still didn't help and he was blown around, hence the reason for the air filter. When I move I'll be looking at putting him in a 2 foot still planted tank.

Also regarding temperature, I've read all over including these forums that 22-30 is ideal for betta. I've always kept it in the low end because I've seen burnt fish and never wanted that to happen to Shoto. (edit - though if the bottom end of the acceptable levels is doing him no good, I will of course change it).

I'll give you both a better readout tomorrow when the new thermometer arrives, I don't want to increase the temp anymore because I honestly believe my thermometer is giving an incorrect reading. I say this because I set my heaters temp going off the thermometer when I bought them. When I checked the temp earlier the heater was saying 25, yet the thermometer is only 22, so that's three degrees variance.

Sorry for the double post. Reading my previous message back seems a little 'stand-offish'. Its nearly 1am here and I woke up to the replies so my brain wasn't working correctly. Sorry to you both if I seemed argumentative.

As stated above, I'll check water temps tomorrow and adjust when I'm confident of the true temperature. It did seem like he wanted to be in the warmer water, it's just how quickly he became like this. He's had the same tank conditions for 6-7 months. I'd expect a change to be gradual, not overnight.

Nevertheless I hope he's okay, I just popped down stairs to check on him, he's on the substrate still, I want tomorrow to hurry up so I can see what's what.

Okay so this is an update for today. This morning I came down and Shoto swam up to me as he normally does so I was pretty happy, though within seconds he went back to his little rock shelter. The new thermometer arrived today, so I was able to get some decent read outs. My old thermometer is 2/3 degrees out, here are the current parameters of my tank -

Ammonia - <0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
Temp - 27.1c

on a side not, I've noticed Shoto "darts" away from anything he touches, like he see's it as an attack or that it hurts? I've not seen this behaviour before.

Sometimes the API test kit zero can look like 0.25 under certain lighting I've found. What was the fin tear from and the fungus?

I know that there are ammonia testers out there which do not have a colour for zero. The lowest reading on the chart is 'under 0.25'.
@Shiverz is your tester one of these, or is there a small ammonia reading which is below 0.25 but not quite zero?

Edit
Just realised he said API test kit :blush:

What kind of test kit are you using? What kind of conditioner?

Any time any ammonia is present in a tank with fish, a water change is in order.
I'm using the API Master Test Kit, with Tetra Tap safe, though recently I saw in a thread that this is not exactly the best conditioner, so I will be changing over as soon as funds allow.

Also I was going to change the water, but with my gammy hands I physically can't do it until my partner returns who is at a funeral right now, also I findAmmonia Test results.jpg it really difficult to actually read these graphs, so I ran another test for you guys and I'll show you the results. I did do a 50% water change and clean yesterday so it worries me that it has managed to increase in less than 24 hours.
Your fish has experienced some trauma and needs to be left alone for a while. I'd suggest fasting him for at least 24 hours.
...And PLEASE change the water anytime there's ammonia present, as @Slaphppy7 advises.
I'll begin fasting straight away, any advice regarding the light? do I keep it on for the plants? or should I turn it off?

Sometimes the API test kit zero can look like 0.25 under certain lighting I've found. What was the fin tear from and the fungus?
This is what I'm wondering, I'm not the best at discerning similar colours. The fin tear was from his driftwood, there was a tiny piece poking out and he tore his fin. I removed the sharp strut and treated for the fluff on his fin which healed within a matter of days, however I kept on with the treatment as advised. Though as to what fungus it was, I unfortunately have no idea.

Honestly I think it was my error, looking back I made a stupid mistake of changing his filter whilst he was undergoing treatment. He was naturally under stress and ill and I come along and switch everything out which no doubt caused more stress... I just feel so awful for him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back