Mean Counter Lady...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i didn't cycle mine at all and i got my origonal fish that i got when i first started the hobby last year.

I'm not sure on those levels but, that's something I'm checking soon. But, my tank, as far as I know, was completely cycled. -_-

StingrayKid said:
I'm not sure on those levels but, that's something I'm checking soon. But, my tank, as far as I know, was completely cycled. -_-
How can you know that your tank was cycled without taking any test readings? The first 6 months of a aquariums life are the most crucial and the water needs to be tested on a weekly basis to ensure that the levels are stable.

You didnt say how you cycled the tank, unless you had a ammonia source added to the tank then your tank has not cycled, running the filter in a tank full of dechlorinated tapwater is doing absolutely nothing.

as cfc said if there is nothing in the tank to produce ammonia (or if you dont add pure ammonia) then of coarse your test kit readings will show perfect... a true cycle takes quite a while to work, and the lady in the fish store was correct to freak out a little...i do the same at the place i work..i dont want people to murder their fish with ignorance either.

Sounds like there's a wide variety of opinions out there. I think, as long as you get the checks done regularly, plus water changes, plus bit-by-bit fish additions, and not over-stocking too quickly (or better not at all)....you should be fine. The system will right itself over time :whistle:

I agree with you Kribsinvcrib. That's exactly what I think. I'm going out in an hour to get some ammonia/nitrate testers and having my water tested. Apparently I'm so "Ignorant" because I have a differant opinion.

plecoguy said:
i dont want people to murder their fish with ignorance either.
regardless of who's facts were right or wrong, if someone is rude to me, i have every right to be PO'd -_-
so why would you be so harsh as to say that?
if you ask half the people here if they knew ANYTHING about fish when they started you'll see that alot of people started off clueless
i beleive your over reacting
stingraykid said although the woman may have very well been right, he did not like the way he was treated
he can react to that any way he pleases and i don't for a minute beleive he was out of line

everyone cycles differently
its possible SK that you need more research and your in the right place to do so :thumbs:

good luck guy
i'm here to help ;)

i cycle mine for a week... but i do watre changes from my other tanks into the new tank every day... so its not like new water or anything... :D

dragonfish4life said:
i cycle mine for a week... but i do watre changes from my other tanks into the new tank every day... so its not like new water or anything... :D
I'm not sure how adding "old" or "used" tank water to a new tank in any way helps a cycle. In fact, I am fairly certain it doesn't. The beneficial bacteria don't live in the water column, they live on the surfaces in the water. If you added plants, gravel, driftwood, etc from an established tank to a new tank, that would speed your cycle considerably. I suppose if you were using the water to add some ammonia/nitrites to your cycling tank that may work. Of course there are far better ways to accomplish this, as you should never have ammonia or nitrites in a properly cycled and established tank.

\Dan

i agree with pointy kitty. People are so hard on beginners. I'd understand them correcting me but i wouldnt just sit there and take some lady being rude to me at the pet store counter. you have to stand up for yourself, even when you are asking for advice. -_-

im sorry if i offended anyone....its been a really really really bad week for me (OH MY AND ITS ONLY WED.! this is gonna be a long week....) ::sigh:: anyways...sorry.

StingrayKid said:
I agree with you Kribsinvcrib. That's exactly what I think. I'm going out in an hour to get some ammonia/nitrate testers and having my water tested. Apparently I'm so "Ignorant" because I have a differant opinion.
No one called you ignorant, if you get off yor high horse and take the time to read things properly you will see people are trying to help. You would be amazed by the ammount of people who do not have any understanding of the nitrogen cycle or how it works and seem to believe that the filters will magicly remove fish waste from the water provided they are run for a couple of days before fish are added, i myself was advised by staff at a lfs when we bought our first tank to set it all up and let things run for 5 days to "settle in" before adding fish, the result was a lot of dead fish 20 days later.

These days with test kits being readily available and affordable and so much information being just a click or two away on the internet there is just no need to take the "chuck a few fish in and take my chances" attitude to setting up a new tank. With a bit of research and a little patience a tank can be cycled and ready for a full load of fish in just a few weeks.

These days with test kits being readily available and affordable and so much information being just a click or two away on the internet there is just no need to take the "chuck a few fish in and take my chances" attitude to setting up a new tank. With a bit of research and a little patience a tank can be cycled and ready for a full load of fish in just a few weeks.

I agree CFC but I was in the same position as StingrayKid when I started. I went along to a recommended LFS and asked them because all of the people I know who have tanks were giving me such conflicting advice. I decided that my friends were hobbyists but the LFS staff must know the correct info or they wouldn't keep their jobs long or not be recommended.

I still found we got conflicting or differing advice and we still do. Everyone on this forum knows that we all have different setups, that we all do things a little differently from the next person, and that even the same sort of fish behave differently for different people.

There seems to be a little too much 'having a pop' at others going on at the moment and not enough understanding and forgiveness of mistakes. Pointy Kitty has the right idea, live and let live, and HELP. God knows I need it :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back