Mean Counter Lady...

StingrayKid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I went to a LFS in my area that is totally dedicated to fish about a week ago. The store was really cool, they had tons of fish. I was checking out some very strange catfish they had in a 30 gallon and I asked the lady working there what kind it was and how big it would get. This thing was about 7 inches long. She said that was it's adult size. :D Well, this thing was really cool, so I asked, since it was in a 30 gallon, if I could put him in my tank. She said no because it was very territorial. Okay, cool whatever, I kept my cool, even though she said it in a kind of snide manner. :/ So eventually, I got into a conversation with her about my tank...somehow I don't know.... :huh: but anyway, I told her what I had in it I she got very mean from here. I have a Figure 8 puffer and she called me "cruel" and I was "torturing" the poor thing. Now, I'm a person who keeps his cool, so, I went along with this. But, let me put it this way. She had a bunch of Dwarf puffers in a BRACKISH tank... I wasn't going to listen to anything she said from thius point. :sly: I was about to say SHE was the cruel one, but whatever... So anyway, if you're still with me because of my ranting, bear with me for a minute. :X So then she asked me how I set up my aquarium and how long it's been set up. I said 6 weeks. She said I couldn't put ANY fish in for at least 8 weeks after being set up... umm... yeah.... so anyways, she got into chemicals. I said that three days from when I set it up, put the little bit of salt in, I put in some Startright and Fungusgaurd. She fillped out. She said that I can't put those in till' like, four weeks later... :huh: What the?... Sure... She said that I need to bring in a water sample in so she can "help me fish out" Ecscuse me!? Whatever lady. She COULD have been right in some points, but whatever, as I allways say. :sad:

Nathen aka stingraykid u forgot to tell them that u also put a night goby in the tank. U also know that adult figure 8's are brackish u addmited it urself. But for the rest of it i pretty much agree with u.

First off, don't give identities out on the internet. Second, The Knight Gogy is leaving the tank because he is brackish. And third, I never said that figure 8's are brackish, I said that they move into brackish waters when they get older, mine's been living in FRESHWATER all his life. :grr:

did you ever consider that she might have been right on some things and that she just didnt go about saying in the calmest manner?
its obvious your tank was not cycled-i think thats why she flipped out.
if youre going to tell the story, you have to tell the WHOLE story.
she was tryting to help you by testing your water for you and you blew her off. im sure shes only concerned for your fish. she told you that you couldnt put the catfish in your tank (for whatever reason) if she was like most lfs employees, she would have tried to sell you the catfish knowing your tank was inadequate.
no-she didnt have to "flip out" but you could have at least looked at it from a point of view besides your own.

I'm sure that the lady was right about the catfish, I had no problem with that, I just didn't understand. I might have made that sound like that she was dumb, but my tank was cycled before I put fish in. She delibrately tried to tell me everything "wrong" I did. My fish are very healthy and so is my aquarium. :/

its obvious your tank was not cycled-i think thats why she flipped out

My god, how long do you people cycle your tanks for? I cycled my new one for just about a week and a half, everyone on here seems to do theirs for months!

I did mine in about a week or so, it was very healthy at the end of the week. It was perfectly clear and Ph was perfect. :huh:

Yeah mine too, its at 7.8 ph and 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite. my sister was advised to not put fish into a tank for about a month! My lfs does advise 2 weeks though.

StingrayKid said:
I did mine in about a week or so, it was very healthy at the end of the week. It was perfectly clear and Ph was perfect. :huh:
What about the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? pH is the last thing to worry about in a new tank. How did you cycle the tank? A week is very quick to cycle a new tank from scratch, it usually takes at least that long just to get the ammonia levels to peak.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back