Mbuna Tank Diary

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have always liked bristlies...they're a funny looking fish and TBH it was the picture at the top of this thread that just tickled me....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...2&hl=Albino

Lying there fast asleep on his back, he looks v.v.v. cute...I think a BN or two is the way forward, but do you lot not think that it/they would work with the other plecs? I'll take all opinions on board as the other two add up to somewhere over £70, which will obviously allow me to get Rae a few more synos and me some more of the mbuna, so that they are properly stocked 1m/3f...

Gordon

PS...I'm currently playing spot the Molly! They are sooooo lost in a 330l tank :lol:

I'm a bit lost now. Which plec's are you dead set on putting in the new tank? :)

The current thinking is for an 'Imperial' Leopard Frog plec. (L134) and a peppermint pleco...add to that a BN or 2, a whole bunch of synos and there we go. I'm getting 'fish happy' at the moment...as opposed to 'trigger' and i want more fish in the tank....patience never was my strongest point... :crazy:

The current thinking is for an 'Imperial' Leopard Frog plec. (L134) and a peppermint pleco...add to that a BN or 2, a whole bunch of synos and there we go. I'm getting 'fish happy' at the moment...as opposed to 'trigger' and i want more fish in the tank....patience never was my strongest point... :crazy:

The L134 and the peppermint are both plec's which do best in lower ph than Mbuna. They prefer 6-7.4 whereas the Mbuna are near to 8ph. The leopard is omnivorous and prefers meaty foods which if eaten by the mbuna can cause bloat. They are also not effective algae eaters.Although peaceful it can be territorial. The peppermint grows to around 6.9" and will eat algae.

Imho I would not put these plec's in with mbuna their requirements are totally different. If you want them to flourish I wouldn't keep them in a mbuna tank. Who knows how long they would last. If you are set on the plec's then why not go for a community setup instead and ditch the mbuna? The bristlenose however will do well in a mbuna setup. You can get a few different colour variations to satisfy the esthetical look. I honestly don't think you'd find anyone that would recommend you put those two plec's in with the fish you are considering. At the end of the day though it is up to you what you do. :)

I don't know much, but I know Cheffi and the others, who have said to ditch the L134 and the peppermint, are in agreement and are knowledgeable and experienced.

Very few Plecs do well with Mbuna just because of the aggression, never mind diet and water requirements etc. They are likely to end up with permanently nipped fins and high levels of stress.

The only Plecs i would consider are BN's and if the tank is big enough Common Plecs. Just my thoughts.

maybe f you explain to your ladyfriend that keeping those plecos in hard, alkaline water is terrible for their kidneys and that keeping them with malawi cichlids is likely to result in them being bullied (nearly) to death, she won't be so determined to get them.

OK...that explains it all very well...she'll be happy with the BN's and the money saved will allow us to buy more synos (petricolas anyone?)....2 multis isn't really enough of them and synos are the ones she really wants. The last thing either of us want is unhappy fish, but we both want the mbuna...

The plecs will have to wait until a suitable tank for them can be got...hmmm. This fishy business can be a tiresome one when you're trying to do it right...

Thankyou all for your great advice and knowledge, books don't supply anywhere near as much info...

Gordon

OK...that explains it all very well...she'll be happy with the BN's and the money saved will allow us to buy more synos (petricolas anyone?)....2 multis isn't really enough of them and synos are the ones she really wants. The last thing either of us want is unhappy fish, but we both want the mbuna...

The plecs will have to wait until a suitable tank for them can be got...hmmm. This fishy business can be a tiresome one when you're trying to do it right...

Thankyou all for your great advice and knowledge, books don't supply anywhere near as much info...

Gordon

:) I'm sure she will love the bristlies and you will both enjoy watching the petricola play. Anyway look at it this way. Now you can have another tank for the plec's etc. MTS setting in :lol:

:nod: :good: :flowers: :thumbs: :hi: :hooray: :cool: :clap: :yahoo:

And listens to the folks that actually have knowledge and experience!! And not just the ones that say what one wants to hear.

:hyper: The big prob with MTS is that I need a BIG lottery win...to get a bigger house for the tanks...
Hmmm...then I can have a plec tank, an oscar tank, a dwarf snakehead tank, a south american cichlid tank, a tang tank, a.....argh! :drool: Help. MTS is making me spin out of control... Help! Doctor needed. Urgent...Now where did I put those pills? Nurse Nurse! :D

G

PS....24hours on and I still have 10 mollies cycling the tank...is this a miracle? The nation demands an answer!!!

We could start an MTS 12 Step group.... I don't know if I'm ready to admit that my life is out of control, though.

:p

I just set up four new Betta tanks last night. I have, I don't know, 5 or 6 sisters coming from Synirr for a sorority. And must resart a 25 usg for the Badis Badis who are outgrowing their 12 usg. 8) :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back