Mbuna Tank Diary

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nice one adam...that's what we've got to look forward to, as that's about half inch more mature than the ones we got.... :)

Next thing will be some saulosi and some i.sprengerae (rusties) in a couple of weeks :D Can't do anything next week as we're away for my son's great grandfather's 90th birthday, which will be fun in itself. Then it's probably another external filter and a heater to add some security to the tank that'll be next on the shopping list. Something to do with security in numbers....right? Maybe it'll work to reduce the agression amongst the filters and heaters... :lol:

G

Now please pardon my ignorance as I am new to African cichlids, but does anything strike you as interesting about the following 3 photos? -_-

holding1.jpg

holding2.jpg

holding3.jpg

Is it me? Or are two of my lab females holding? :blush:

What do these fish get up to when I'm out earning their feed? :lol:

G

Congratulations! your a father yet again!!

With labs, I think its just a case of adding water :shifty: :shifty:

Hi Folks...

after the fun of last weekend, off I trundled to the lfs yesterday and came home with 4 i.sprengerae and 4 p.saulosi for the tank...only blip on the program was a slight muck up in the sexing of the saulosis as they are juvies...came home with 2 boys and 2 girls! D'oh...I'll be going back mid week to get a couple more females! :D

One question though, I love the tank, but I would like to add some c.afra whitetop as well. What do you all think?

I am getting an extra filter this week (Eheim 2028), so will be much better off from that point of view.

Cheers

Gordon

Why not, My personal favorite 1m-3 or 4 females they can be bit rowdy and will become the dominant alfa male in the tank but they dont seem to be nasty with it.

They only get to about 3" fully grown.

Now your tanks getting established you could think about getting some wild caught and get one of the more unusual afras.

are you talking about the proper 'afra' white tops or are you talking about the cynotilapia sp pulpican which is sold in every MA in the country as an Afra White top and isn't???

I have cynotilapia sp Puplicans and the males are stunning only problem is they dig like crazy (and also breed like crazy) but from my own experience they only every try to spawn with their own kind :good:

hope this helps,

Dru.

are you talking about the proper 'afra' white tops or are you talking about the cynotilapia sp pulpican which is sold in every MA in the country as an Afra White top and isn't???

EEEK! :crazy: I guess I must be given MA have had most of my cash so far!...have you got a pic to ponder upon? :/ For once google poses more questions than answers!!! :lol: I have had a look, they don't really look like the ones at my MA, as they really do have a white top to the dorsal fin there...maybe I should order some wc like Adam suggests...decisions again!

I have cynotilapia sp Puplicans and the males are stunning only problem is they dig like crazy (and also breed like crazy) but from my own experience they only every try to spawn with their own kind :good:
That'll be ok, if it's what they are, and judging from your comments probably they are.

hope this helps,

Dru.

Indeed it has.

Thanks

Gordon

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back