MBuna Condos

madmark285

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got a Request for Proposal from the MRO (Mbuna Rock Owner) Association for the construction of condos in a 75 gallon tank. From the request:

We are tired of seeing our loved one gobbled up by other fish, we want to come to America and live in a aquarium. We want a condo for all Mbuna which includes running water.

Running water???

Since I own 75 gallon tank currently under being resealed, I decide to make a bid. My first proposal was small cubicles using 1/2" PVC sheets. This was rejected as I quote:

We are not birds, we are Mbunas! We are rock fish, we want rocks!

So the goals on this build. The entire bottom of the tank will be covered in rocks. I want to eliminate the first layer of rocks by supporting them above the tank bottoms. This will create space for the Mbuna condos.

Here is an executive summary of my prototype:

Ballons and Pipes.jpg

Place balloons fill with sand and small PVC pipes to support the rocks in a form.

Wrap rocks.jpg

Wrap rocks with Saran wrap.

Mix foam.jpg

Mix foam and pour into form with rocks in place. Yes, that is a tombstone on the left side, been busy making props for our neighborhood Halloween party. We do a haunted hayride.

Remove ballons.jpg

Remove balloons

Gorilla glue.jpg

Cover exposed areas of foam with Gorilla glue and pack substrate in form. For the final design, I may use silicone caulk.

Rock base done.jpg

Results

Add substrate.jpg

Add substrate and rocks.

Add second layer of rocks.jpg

Add another rock layer. I am quite happy with the results, this was a quick prototype. For the actual build, I need to raise the rocks higher so the condos go more under the rocks instead of between them. I also need to work on how to slope upwards with a possible rock wall on the back.

Second pour.jpg

Now what I didn't show, result from a second ouring of foam to fill in spots. Clearly that didn't work but the foam can be cut easily.

Need single pour.jpg

Working in small section at a time, I need to make this with a single pouring of foam. Above is what I want, nice round feature which look natural. So my plan for the build. Remove the rocks before pouring, I should be able to evenly pour the foam with no rocks in the way. Then quickly put the rocks on the PVC pipes. This has to be done in about 10-15 seconds, the foam is very reactive. And clearly, I need to work in small sections at a time.

And I am happy to report, the Mbuna Rock Owner Association accepted my proposal. I did ask about encouraging aggressive behavior with the Mbunas defending their little condos, most opinions are against this. their response was:

We are Mbunas, that what we are

Next up, build a full size form..

MadMark

The problem is every time you remove or add an mbuna, you need to slightly shake up the cave set up to shake up the territorial claims. It saves your fish from a lot of beatings. Nothing in an mbuna tank should be permanently in place.

The problem is every time you remove or add an mbuna, you need to slightly shake up the cave set up to shake up the territorial claims. It saves your fish from a lot of beatings. Nothing in an mbuna tank should be permanently in place.
One thing I'm stuck on is if I move rocks every time - how do you make sure you don't get sand stuck underneath the rocks? I've built mine on egg crate so can probably be reasonably safe but I do worry about moving sand out of the way to re-scape as and when I have to. I have also made a bit of a mistake of getting attached to the design of my zen garden set up now and have not fully accepted that I will have to continuously rescape over time!

I always had sand/gravel under the rocks. It was never an issue.

But yeah, when you get it just like you want, but you need to remove a female to let her recover from mouthbrooding. It's one of the joys of keeping mbuna.

The problem is every time you remove or add an mbuna, you need to slightly shake up the cave set up to shake up the territorial claims.

Thanks for your feedback, I fully understand and appreciate it. I plan on having two layers of rocks, the first layer can be removed but not moved. The second rock layer can be moved around. On researching Mbuna, you may be the only person who says " always one cave per fish". The vast majority say you should limit the caves so the Mbunas cannot claim and defend it. For myself, I call these "screensaver" tanks which I don't want.

My plan is to fully stock the tank with juveniles then let them grow up together ie: one big purchase from Tampa Bay cichlids. . I will dose my sump filter heavily ammonia so it will be ready for a big bio-load.

You also said in Wills thread " The major drawback with mbuna is that when the aggression starts you have to grit your teeth and bear with it. ". I fully agree with you. Long ago I had a 50 gallon Mbuna tank with breeding pair of Auratus, it was intense as the male claimed 1/2 the tank. But everyone survived and I had a bunch of babies. But that what Mbuna do, chase and defend their cave.

I hope this works and thanks again -_-

One thing I'm stuck on is if I move rocks every time - how do you make sure you don't get sand stuck underneath the rocks?
Back to my idea, artificially raise your large base rocks and allow sand to go under them, Now your Mbuna can safely dig under them. This can be easily done with small pieces of PVC pipe.

Just a suggestion

Just to be clear, when I say screensaver tank, I am referring to the overstocking with no caves type tanks. This summer we visited the Mystic Aquarium. The Mbuna tank was ~8'x8'x3' and must of had over 1,000 Mbuna in it. It was just depressing, from top to bottom was just pack with docile Mbuna just swimming back and forth.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back