Mbuna- All Male Or Mixed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ellphea

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am setting up a 55 gallon mbuna tank and I am very curious as to whether it would be better to try for an all-male tank or to go with the conventional method. There are some key points I would like to point out to keep in mind. 

1. I live in a rural area and the closest (good) LFS is a hour away from my home so it is difficult to return fish to a store or get rid of fish for any reason (fry are incredibly hard to give away)

2. I have the 15 pack of cichlid stones (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21383) and live walking distance from a lake where I can get many natural rocks of varying sizes if additional hiding places are needed. 

3. The tank will be planted. 

4. I have 2 filters intended for a 55 gallon tank and a 20 gallon filter that can be added as well if necessary.

All stocking suggestions are appreciated!!!

Ellphea said:
I am setting up a 55 gallon mbuna tank and I am very curious as to whether it would be better to try for an all-male tank or to go with the conventional method. There are some key points I would like to point out to keep in mind. 

1. I live in a rural area and the closest (good) LFS is a hour away from my home so it is difficult to return fish to a store or get rid of fish for any reason (fry are incredibly hard to give away)

When I had my mixed male female African cichlid tank I came against the same problem of having a fish that is very available to both LFS and people so I could not sell them very well or give them away so right off the bat you got a good reason to go with only males

2. I have the 15 pack of cichlid stones (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21383) and live walking distance from a lake where I can get many natural rocks of varying sizes if additional hiding places are needed. 

All the rocks in my cichlid tanks where collected from the wild just make sure you boil them very well to make sure nothing is brought into your tank.

3. The tank will be planted. 
I wish you the best of luck with planting an African tank but I tried it and cichlids love to eat and dig up plants so it's hard.

4. I have 2 filters intended for a 55 gallon tank and a 20 gallon filter that can be added as well if necessary.
All stocking suggestions are appreciated!!!
The two filters that are for a 55 gallon should be just fine make sure you got lots of ceramic media if that's what your going with and also these fish are very dirty so cleaning the filter floss more then on a normal fish tank is a good idea.
Also a few side notes on things I found very useful.
You probably know this but the key to a peaceful African tank is over stock in an African tank providing you have the smaller cichlids 3-5 inches I would go with 25 or so fish which brings me to another key to a good tank with these cichlids water changes I used to do 60% a week on my main tank which was a 60 gallon tank that had about 45 full grown cichlids in it and honestly they could have used it more often then that more.
Well I think that's it sorry for the long read and good luck with these guys they are a very fun fish :)

It's up to you obviously but yes in your position I'd go all male :)

I believe I will, I will have to practice venting!!

Well good luck and you will have to get pics of the set up :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back