massive algae bloom

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Some news: I don't have a proper brush so I did what I could with my hands. It comes off easily and in a film form. Doesn't smell at all. I took out my dwarf hairgrass, and was disappointed to see that though it was still green under the algae, there was little to no root development, so I left it out. I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to restock on plants, get a brush, and look into seed shrimps. I'm also picking up 3 corydoras and a pair of kribensis.

Some news: I don't have a proper brush so I did what I could with my hands. It comes off easily and in a film form. Doesn't smell at all. I took out my dwarf hairgrass, and was disappointed to see that though it was still green under the algae, there was little to no root development, so I left it out. I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to restock on plants, get a brush, and look into seed shrimps. I'm also picking up 3 corydoras and a pair of kribensis.
Shrimp won't eat cynobacteria and they won't eat algae off glass. I'd get the cynobacteria under control before adding fish. Cyno bacteria can be toxic to living organisms.

Shrimp won't eat cynobacteria and they won't eat algae off glass. I'd get the cynobacteria under control before adding fish. Cyno bacteria can be toxic to living organisms.
Sounds good. Just the brushes and plants then.

There is also some on my slate, so I'm gonna give that a wash. How do I avoid this in the future? Was it just due to the extra light or are there other factors?

Blue green algae (Cyanobacter bacteria) is a photosynthetic bacteria (bacteria that can photosynthesise like a plant). It comes in a range of colours from blue, green, black, brown, red, pink and purple.

It loves nutrients, red light, and low water movement. It occurs in some tanks and not others and can occur in new tanks or well established tanks.

The easiest way to control it is to physically remove it each day by doing a big (75%) daily water change and gravel cleaning the substrate. Try to suck out or wipe out the green slime.

Reduce the amount of food, in particular the dry foods going into the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence and water movement in the tank. Adding an airstone will usually help do both of these at the same time.

If you have fluorescent globes on the tank and they are more than 12 months old, replace them with new globes and starters. Get globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

After a few weeks, sometimes longer, the Cyanobacteria will disappear as other bacteria and true algae start to grow.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back