massive algae bloom

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
I got distracted, and seeing as I don't have timers on my lights yet, I accidentally left my lights on for 4 more hours than I usually do. I woke up the next day to a massive wall of algae on my swords and the front and back of my tank. I know algae isn't technically a bad thing, it just isn't very sightly. It also choked out my remaining dwarf hairgrass.

It's a real shame. I got pretty close to getting hair grass to grow in low tech and a completely understocked tank :(.
Not easy to do either. Try and pump as much oxygen into the tank as possible algae hates highly oxygenated water. Increase filter flow, air stone, even lower temperature if you can. Don't give up on the hair grass tho.

I might get some shrimp. Plenty of bio-film and algae for the little buggers. Won't be able to get those kribensis though :(.

Not easy to do either. Try and pump as much oxygen into the tank as possible algae hates highly oxygenated water. Increase filter flow, air stone, even lower temperature if you can. Don't give up on the hair grass tho.
I have to replant one chunk, silly corydoras. Feeling like I should just take it out, but I'll give it time.

Covers the front and back, but not the sides.

The green blur in the background is the swords. The algae is completely brown.

Attachments

• D7E94ED4-EA3E-4443-90E6-57A41D3BC453.jpeg
    D7E94ED4-EA3E-4443-90E6-57A41D3BC453.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 145
Does it get natural sun light morning or night
Yes, a little. It's in a corner and there is a window on the opposite side of the 90° angle. I close the curtain to try and keep the light from hitting it, but I guess it's not working. Is it possible to go no artificial light?

Honestly, i would get a mystery snail. Just one though or else they will reproduce. Those guys are the hardest work snails. I also have a nerite snail in one of my nano tanks that does a great job at cleaning algae but it lays eggs like crazy. Nerite eggs are reaaallly hard to get off so i would not recommend getting one of those.

Honestly, i would get a mystery snail. Just one though or else they will reproduce. Those guys are the hardest work snails. I also have a nerite snail in one of my nano tanks that does a great job at cleaning algae but it lays eggs like crazy. Nerite eggs are reaaallly hard to get off so i would not recommend getting one of those.
I really likE the idea of using these Guys to clean up algae. If I were to get some should I quarantine? If so what are some things I should look for during quarantine. Just got over a tank of ich so not willing to chance anything. Thanks!

I really likE the idea of using these Guys to clean up algae. If I were to get some should I quarantine? If so what are some things I should look for during quarantine. Just got over a tank of ich so not willing to chance anything. Thanks!
At first i was like why quarantine? But then you said you just got over ich which is a nuance to get rid of! Mystery snails cannot get ich, I mean there is an small chance they can get in there shell but it is not common, or at least to what i know. I mean if you wanted to quarantine the snail, i would recommend doing it for maybe 2 weeks or so, but you would need some algae in the quarantine tank or at least some bottom feeder tablets for the snail to eat. But I would definitely get one, the one i have has such a personality lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back