Marine Section

We have lots of new members lately, what are your views and old salties, how should we be moving forward?

Seffie x

i kno this may be a stupid idea because it could be very time consuming but maybe a recomendation section, ie recomended skimmers, heaters, RO systems, LR suppliers, marine fish suppliers.

i kno this may be a stupid idea because it could be very time consuming but maybe a recomendation section, ie recomended skimmers, heaters, RO systems, LR suppliers, marine fish suppliers.

Not stupid at all - i suppose in a way, the hardware of the month is probably covering that one, as people write about their hardware and recommend or not :good: take a look and see if it fits your idea

Seffie x

well as alot of people know i was a total begginer, not even in a year with my FW fish and i was going to salt :blush: and i asked for advice and got great answers and alot of in depth info, im sure earlier someone mentioned a thank you thread and that would be a great idea. i hope to contribute more as i learn more and it would help alot of the contributor ie. mostly older members to have a thread where they can see just how much theyve helped out.

also this might be a little bit more in depth to the species index but maybe we could could include what would classify as enough light wpg wise to keep certain things ie nem, softies, lps and sps, just to give a basic guideline to go on. as well as maybe a 100 best inverts to start off with or to add diffculty levels and ease of breeding and stuff like that.

it could also help f we set up breeding threads to get some people to help out the enviroment as well like seperate threads for breeding clowns (nemos thread would be a fantastic example, but with more people bredding them :lol: ) and other fish, which would mean lots of pictures so they get atention and might encourage people to work up to that level of expertise.

btw i think this is a fab job of a forum, rarely do i stray away from this forum as it has mostly eveything i need, however theres still plenty of room to go, and imo the marine section is not the worst one on answering questions in a timely manner and such.

Work Page:

Ive started to create links to the main resources that appear at the top of the main page - I know that many people miss these resources as they look within the Marine section itself. If anyone would like to help collect the resources, I would appreciate it :D I am currently on Summer holidays so do have a bit of time to work on these :good: I then hope to get them pinned in the Resource Centre. If you want to do a bit, just let me know so that we don't end up doing the same things :p

Seffie x

Resources Area

Zoanthids sp

Fiji Leather, Sacophyton Elegans sp

Torch Coral, Euphllia Glabrescens sp

Finger Leather, Sinularia Flexibis sp

Ricordia, Ricordia Florida sp

Rainbow Acan, Acanthastrea Echinata sp

Sun Coral, Tubastrea Aurea sp

Short tentacled Plate coral, Fungia sp

Mushrooms, Discosomatidae sp

Kenya Tree, Capnella sp

Star Polyps, Clavularia viridis sp

Giant Palythoa, Protopalythoa grandis sp

Frogspawn, Euphyllia paradivisa sp

Fox Coral, Nemenzophyllia turbida sp

Elegance, Catalaphyllia jardinei sp

Condy Anemone, Condylactis gigantean sp

Button Polyps, Protoplatythoa sp

Brain/ Open Coral, Trachyphyllia geoffroyi sp

Brian/Closed Coral, Favites abdita sp

Hammer, Euphyllia ancora sp

It would be helpful to have a location (on the posts) of members so you know where in the country or the world people are that your talking to :)

Also for trading as I personally dont like posting and have collection only.

Anyway just a suggestion ;)

I take it you mean in the classifieds? There is a place for location on the sales form - or do you mean on the profile?

We used to have it on the profile but it got lost in the heavens somewhere - maybe Ski or Ben could look into that one for us?

Seffie x

As a new member to the salty side, I've found that one thing this section lacks is 'how to' guides and information about equipment needed and what the purposes of all the equipment actual are. I've found that people were very helpful when I asked what I needed to go salty, but I was then left with this huge list of things that some people said I'd need, and others said wasn't necesary.. and I had no idea what all these things were used for or what they did, which led to lots of questions which I should imagine gets very repetetive, every time a new salty arrives! For example, RO unit, skimmer, powerhead, sumps.. I was told I'd have to get these but would really have appreciated a thread entitled something like "Skimmers explained" which would then have saved me asking questions, awaiting replies, which then lead to yet more questions, if you get me! I know it would take the experienced members some time and effort, but I think it would be a great addition for newbies! I originlly journeyed over here a year or so ago, and left quite quickly and stuck to freshwater til now because I was so overwhelmed with all this new epuipment!

I'd also like to see a gallery of members setups/fish/corals etc (sorry if theres already one here, I've not come across it yet if there is!)

htats all I can think of right now, i'm not too demanding! :lol:

This is a good place to start re: Skimmers :good:

Ben, that reminds me, there are a few hardware of the month threads that are not in the resource area yet?

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back