Marine Fish Safe For Ten Gallons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
I have looked around and cannot find any post that has a list of fish safe for the smaller nano tanks and with myself just about ready to stock my ten gallon nano im after a decent list and opinions :good:

Hmm, let's see... Titan Trigger?

Good choices would be any of the smaller gobies/darters... maybe some smaller blennies too. Smaller clowns, damsels would also work. Dwarf filefish if you can find one, plus the smallest of frogfish.

I think many damsels could be kept in one, and as best I can recall dwarf filefish scarcely exceed 2'' in length and are slow swimmers, so these might work. Admittedly I've never kept one or seen anyone else keep one, but I have read about it, and they sem very cute and interesting.

Im interested in the dwarf filefish but cannot find nay information on them...Im also interested in the smaller frogfish to but not sure which one to look for Im out of my saltwater depth :D

I think many of us might have a slightly skewed view on damsels because many of them can grow to much larger sizes than one might expect. Additionally, quite a few of them will be very colorful and 'pretty' as juvies, however, some grow up to be very dull and obviously, overly territorial. I have this black and gold chromis (damsel) which is easily five or six inches now, almost completely brown, and quite the grumpy little fellow - even had my fuzzy lion up in a corner one day. Anyways, I couldn't image it doing well at all in a 10 gallon since the thing is all over the place in my 125.

Keep in mind that 'dwarf' is a relative term...for example, while the larger lionfish can reach one or two feet in length (and obviously very 'full bodied', especially with all of those fins), most of the dwarf lions are going to grow to six or seven inches. Additionally, while they are pretty much 'stationary' fish in the day, some can be pretty active at night. They are also somewhat 'messy' fish, depending on what they will or will not eat; meaning, it might be hard to maintain high water quality in a 10 gallon, especially if you figure in some live rock and a little hiding spot for them.

Offhand, you could put into the tank the following

Clown Gobies (Yellow/Citron/Green/ect) - These guys are territorial, so a mated pair is best)
Cleaner Gobies (Neon/Red-Headed/Green Banded) - do okay in small groups, particularly the green-banded goby
Trimma/Evotia Gobies - do okay in small groups

Personally I'd just put one of these in a ten gallon, along with a small goby, but you could fit two of these larger fish, or even two and a small goby, if you pushed it.

Green Chromis (better in groups however)
Damsels - Yellowtail Blue, Three-Spot, Talbot's, Three-Stripe
Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish
Yellow or Blue Assessor
Chalk or Lantern Bass (better in groups however)
Blennies - Bicolor, Tailspot, Yellowtail
Firefish - Common, Purple, or Helfrich
Pseudochromis - Bicolor, Diadem, Orchid, Purple
Shrimp Gobies - Blackray, Orange Stripe, Orangespotted, Randall's Yasha Hasa, Wheelers, Yellow Watchman
Rainfordi Goby
Threadfin Cardinalfish
Royal Gramma
Hawkfish - Falco, Flame
Wrasse - Possum, Sixline
Yellowheaded/Pearly Jawfish
Frogfish - Painted/Wartskin

I think a small shrimp goby w/ a pistol shrimp would be the best, or maybe a firefish.
A jawfish needs a deep sand bed, and that takes away most of the space.
IMO clowns are too active
Cardinals are very peaceful, but don't move around very much.
Neon gobies would be good, especially if you can find a pair
Blennies get too big, IMO
Pseudos I would avoid because they tend to eat most of the bristleworms, which are a pretty important part of SW tanks.
IMO hawkfish either get too big or are too active
From what I've heard, wrasse are too active
i have no experience with frogfish.

Keep in mind that 'dwarf' is a relative term...for example, while the larger lionfish can reach one or two feet in length

Do you have any scientific references to a lionfish reaching two feet? The best I can get is a Pterois volitans which is really looking around the 15" mark. What is this "superlion" fish that can reach two feet in length?

Keep in mind that 'dwarf' is a relative term...for example, while the larger lionfish can reach one or two feet in length

Do you have any scientific references to a lionfish reaching two feet? The best I can get is a Pterois volitans which is really looking around the 15" mark. What is this "superlion" fish that can reach two feet in length?

Perhaps not two feet exactly...I did say 'one or two feet', which, if you want to get technical, I should have said 'between one and two feet'...that information wasn't exactly the main point. However, if you would like to uphold me to a rigid standard, then yea, I can give references which show that 15 inches isn't the max size.

[URL="http://www.usda.gov/egovteam/nisc/subject/education_public_awareness/species_lionfish.shtml"]http://www.usda.gov/egovteam/nisc/subject/..._lionfish.shtml[/URL]
^Read paragraphs 4 and 6

^Here is a video (albeit a rough one) that I personally took at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago earlier this year of their tank with some P. Volitans - and the rabbitfish with them is a Golden or Goldenspot, if I remember correctly - which, for visual reference, can reach about about 15 inches in length...and it smaller than the lionfish. Additionally, you might be able to reference the 'exit' sign that you can see for a second. So, maybe we are both a bit off.

Anyways, still doesn't mean you can fit them in a 10 gallon tank, so I apologize for creating yet another situation in which we have gotten off subject.

Perhaps not two feet exactly...I did say 'one or two feet', which, if you want to get technical, I should have said 'between one and two feet'...that information wasn't exactly the main point. However, if you would like to uphold me to a rigid standard, then yea, I can give references which show that 15 inches isn't the max size.

There is a world of difference between reaching less than a foot and a half (even on your unsubstantiated length) and saying they get to one or two feet, implying that 24" can be attained.

And where is any scientific evidence to truly back up the 17" length? Fishbase says 38cm. As this is based purely on scientific research, and not just a story of a capture with no evidence to back it up. The reference on lionfish sizes is Randall, J.E., G.R. Allen and R.C. Steene, 1990. Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu, Hawaii. 506 p.

If your reported catch is indeed true, perhaps they should inform the scientific community.

Most reactions

trending

Back