marine filter to tropical?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tgwthf

Reaction score
Hello!, i'm new to the whole fish thin and recently was purchased a large 250L Aquarium ((was second hand)) that had everything with it, however, it was used as a marine tank and it has a large Aqua One Aquis 1200 external canister filter with it with all the media in there already but i was wondering if its at all possible to use that without having to purchase new filter media? or is purchasing new stuff a must because of the salty marine water that used to run thought it about a year or so before it was purchased, guy said it hadn't been used in over a year before that so i'm unsure if the stuff in there is safe to use or not,

thanks in advance for any replies,
hoping the people here are a little more accepting of newcomers to the hobby, the other forum i joined they all had attitude problems towards me because i was new to it...

The filter media should be completely replaced, I'm afraid, otherwise, you will likely be leeching things that have no business in a freshwater tank being there.

BUT... the good news is that the purchase should be basically an infrequent thing. Once you ahve the media, you can use the same stuff for years - until it is literally falling apart.

And welcome! :hi:

Hi

The filter media should be completely replaced,
I agree

Watch this it will show you how to set up a canister, I use Biohome media in my canister filters.

ah darn, i was hoping i could boil the filter media or something a few times first hahaha, oh well i'll see if i can find anything the right sizes on ebay haha

I completely understand that hope, but the risks are just too great to warrant it. Boiling everything else though (nonporous) would be a good idea. Don't toss the baskets, just the stuff that goes inside them.

Bleaching in lieu of boiling... bleach with no detergent...

But, the cost will be minimal over the life of the filter. Canister media doesn't need to be replaced much. The ceramics, bioballs, etc... all are good for the life of your hobby... not just the filter or that tank. They NEVER wear out, and you never need to worry about cycling after the first time. These can be used to seed all future tanks. The sponge or floss media will need to be replaced...eventually. But these are the cheapest, and can be bought at any size and just cut to fit if needed.

I completely understand that hope, but the risks are just too great to warrant it. Boiling everything else though (nonporous) would be a good idea. Don't toss the baskets, just the stuff that goes inside them.

Bleaching in lieu of boiling... bleach with no detergent...

But, the cost will be minimal over the life of the filter. Canister media doesn't need to be replaced much. The ceramics, bioballs, etc... all are good for the life of your hobby... not just the filter or that tank. They NEVER wear out, and you never need to worry about cycling after the first time. These can be used to seed all future tanks. The sponge or floss media will need to be replaced...eventually. But these are the cheapest, and can be bought at any size and just cut to fit if needed.

yeah, no its not a problem i understand that its to give the fish the best life and i want that i'm just a cheap person hahaha that gives me an idea...what about DIY filtration stuff?... like using lava rock instead of ceramic noodles/bioballs maybe? and medium/course sponges... hmmmmmmm......... i'll do some research on this!, thanks though i appreciate your help! i'll defo boil everything that the stuff goes in :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back